Help with frame ID and restoration possibility

Steelo76

Dirt Disciple
Hi

A mate of mine found this frame in a skip in 2000/2001 and he sprayed it up, popped some old forks on he had and we bought new components. To cut a long story short I sold the bike to a friend but the frame ended up back in my possession in less than good condition and has been in my garage for years since.

Can anyone help with identifying the model of this bike? Would also appreciate honest opinions on wether or not this frame is capable of being restored?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 632
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 632
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 632
I'm no expert on the subject but my hint would be Alpine Stars Al-Mega... ...DX? Possibly a 1993 model...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Alpinestars

1a08i.jpeg

Frame looks sound, certainly capable of being restored, barring any crackers not shown in the pics. I'd be inclined to try and find the proper forks for it though.

I agree the original forks are a must. My intention is to restore it back to its original condition (well as close as possible anyway), I guess the first stage is attempting to identify the model.

I remember many an occasion when I was standing in a Scottish forest somewhere in the early nineties with my chain wrapped around the bottom bracket and the chain chain-sucked into the chainstay wishing I had a Alpine Stars :LOL: .

big.eck":31262rqz said:
1991 alpinestars al-mega

Thanks big.eck, I think you are probably right. From the information I have read on this site I was thinking it is a 91/92 cro mega or al mega.

Now the hunt begins for parts! As a 'gold trader' do you have any tips for sourcing bits for this bike or have any to sell?

Thanks

Steelo76":3gqts8ts said:
big.eck":3gqts8ts said:
1991 alpinestars al-mega

Thanks big.eck, I think you are probably right. From the information I have read on this site I was thinking it is a 91/92 cro mega or al mega.

Now the hunt begins for parts! As a 'gold trader' do you have any tips for sourcing bits for this bike or have any to sell?

Thanks

no problem ;) when i had my 91 al mega i was told the bracing at the headtube was only found on the 91 al mega . the cro mega was made from cro-mo steel and the al-mega was alloy .

best bet for parts will be in the wanted section as theres loads about and people will come to you , the hardest bits to find will be the front mech with the tiny half moon shaped nut to mount it and the clamp to use canti brakes .

they ride great but i'd be stripping all the paint off and checking for cracks as they do crack everywhere (and i mean everywhere) :( before i spent any money on it

heres a pic of my old one :cool:

good luck chap

Back