Pace rc35 forks steer tube issues

Simm31

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

Well my Orange is back on the road with its recently repaired Rock Shox Indy XC.

So I bought some very nice Pace RC35 off here too but the steer is too short.

I'm a bit confused where I'm measuring from but to me I need a 200mm/8 inch steerer.

It must be a threaded one inch diameter.

Where do I measure from to get this right?

Cheers

Simon.

It doesn't really matter where you measure from, but you could go from the base of the crown up, giving you the total length of the steerer including crown, or the top of the crown up, giving you the more standard measurement/length needed to take your head tube a d headset stack height.

I always measure from the top of the fork crown to the end of the steerer.
That gives me the amount of steerer that will be available to fit into the headtube, headset, and stem (if it's a threadless steerer).
Obviously if it's a threaded steerer then it only needs to come up as high as the top locknut on your headset.

Thanks guys, really need threaded and 200 mm is total length.

Another question, sorry as not had these forks before...

The steer pops up from under then crown and has a circlip to secure it, above the crown there is a soft of washer, should that sit flush I'm the recess I.e what meets the bottom of the lower head set assembly...it's been a while..I'm stumped.

I think you might be referring to the "Pace Crown Collar", which as far as I remember needs to be there, as the Pace steere is essentially just a straight tube, if you look at other steerers they all flare out a little towards the crown end in order to accommodate the crown race.

So does the crown collar sit flush in the recess...then does something else go on top of this to but up to the crown race?

It may be that you have a shim in there? ie the fork crown is set up to take 1" 1/8th steerer, so to fit a 1" steerer you have to use a shim.

Thinking about it now, my RC35's have a 1" steerer, there is a shim that slides down the steerer and allows it to fit snugly in the fork crown, the shim protrudes a few mm above the fork crown, so I guess it also incorporates the crown race collar into it...

Pics, a pic might help us...

Ok, some pix,

First the orange with its rockshox on...are they meant to point forward like that or are they bent?

And then the Pace forks and the collar thing...

Any ideas...of what I need to install this correctly?

Oh my files are to big to upload. Will do it later...

Back