Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:42 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

How much have people been paying for paint? Not powder coating but refinishing by a proper builder/shop. And were you happy with the service, colour match and such?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC
Section Moderator & South West AEC

bob jackson, 5 times, various colours, and fades with and without stickers from £90 +postage to £150 +postage, happy with all jobs

argos, 5 times, single colours and fade, with/without stickers, on average 160 to 230 depending on the job, only one cock up, and that was the only time i didn't drop it in personally. i asked for a near flouro green, got mushy pea green.

TJC (graphic shacks painter) used tim once, my most recent job, clockwork fade including stickers, spot on, £155 very happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
First time – Armourtex Ltd, Hackney, London.

£120 for a custom 'sparkle/green chameleon' powder coat. Was considering Argos, Mercian, Bob Jackson, Orange, but was put off by the costs of shipping, etc and the timescales involved at the time.

I felt the price was a bit over the odds for a variable quality finish - thick to thin in places. Found a few tiny dings on the frame which I couldn't account for.
But I was on crutches at the time so it was difficult to go and argue the toss. I think £120 could have afforded a bit more care and attention to quality control overall.

Still, it was all done in 4 days and the custom coat looks fab in brilliant sunlight (if we ever get any).

Their strip/dip/burn-off/blast process cleaned up the frame quite nicely inside and out – the frame was noticeably lighter after the work and chimed like a bell.

Applied decals myself on top of the new coating.

Have been commuting 165 miles per week for the past 3 months without any damage to the coating yet – not even from chain slap going over London's old rickety pot-holed roads.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Woodrups, Leeds, £120 with new decals. (My Roberts Genesis- very happy with it, have a feeling that they may just ship it up the road to Bob Jacksons though. My intention was to take it to Bob J's but it was a Wednesday and they were closed, so dropped it at woodrups instead, both Bob's and woodrups have a long standing good reputation as frame builders in Leeds so it wasn't a 'that'll do' sort of choice)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:04 am 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

A car body shop about 5 minutes drive from my house so no postage worries or costs. They have done some custom paint jobs on motorbikes including decal application for team replicas so I was fairly confident they would do a decent job.
They sprayed my Dekerf Implant (in my sig), black with gold flake including decal application for £100. They were happy to spend time talking through what I wanted and did several test sprays to make sure the colour and amount of metal flake was right. I'll definitely be using them again :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:11 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Painted at home with decent paint from a paint supplier.
Paint is soft and chips very easily. Cost was circa £90 including decals.
Not recommended :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:00 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Painted at home with rattle can its a 10 footer but it ran me in at 30 quid. Quite happy but paint is soft and scratches real easy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

10 footer?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Looks good from 10 feet away a term commonly used to describe women in nightclubs and slightly dodgy paint jobs lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:37 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

I had Bob Jackson do mine, it was pricey as I paid for the collection and delivery option. I paid about £150 for a single colour respray and fitting of decals, courtesy of gil_m, I was very pleased with the result.

Alison