Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:09 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm
Posts: 619
Location: Staffordshire
I have looked for the info regarding frame numbers and the team bit I cannot seem to find this .

As far as I know after 1991 the le version was frame only, in 1991 you could by the le and the Zaskar frame only let me get in and ill get you a link to the 1991 brochure :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 799
Location: Runcorn
Antfox wrote:
As far as I know after 1991 the le version was frame only


But do you have anything to say that the LE **frame*** was different? And if so, how do you tell them apart?

And have you see THIS:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Old-School ... -2013.html

It's Zaskar Ground Zero!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 am
Posts: 1249
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Antfox wrote:

As far as I know after 1991 the le version was frame only, in 1991 you could by the le and the Zaskar frame only let me get in and ill get you a link to the 1991 brochure :)



That'll be good to read to give me some ideas on what sort of look i'm after for the build,did GT make any straight blade forks?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm
Posts: 619
Location: Staffordshire
As far as I now there is no difference other than the LE was maybe Limited Edition frame only ?

Have a look here at the 1992 brochure:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1992.pdf

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... Shop92.pdf

But then you get to 1993 and 1994 and the LE was the bike with the better spec:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... 1993-2.pdf

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1994.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm
Posts: 619
Location: Staffordshire
They look wrong with straight blade forks, GT only made curved forks.

The ones to get hold of are the 3d fork, there was a pair on ebay but were / are 70.00 !

It's wrong but I love the Girvin Vektor polished fork on a Zaskar:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=574


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 am
Posts: 1249
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Antfox wrote:
They look wrong with straight blade forks, GT only made curved forks.

The ones to get hold of are the 3d fork, there was a pair on ebay but were / are 70.00 !

It's wrong but I love the Girvin Vektor polished fork on a Zaskar:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=574



Those Girvins are not for me but i like the look of the 3D's in black they perfect. What did jump out at me from the 92 catalogue was those GT cranks they look mint.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm
Posts: 619
Location: Staffordshire
Yes the girvin forks are marmite !

Try getting the cranks ! All the old gt parts are hard to find in a good condition usually they are all wrote off and too rough to do anything with .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:25 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 799
Location: Runcorn
This is my attempt an a complete Zaskar Identification Algorithm:

1. Rounded endcap on top tube (ie where it sticks out behind the seat tube) => no; never a zaskar

2. 6061 stamp (usually on inside right rear dropout, may be missing) => yes, always a Zaskar (unless someone has added a false stamp! has anyone heard of this?)

You have now divided most zaskars and non-zaskars! The only bike that can now confuse you is a 92 or 92 Pantera - the only other GTs to have flat endcaps. (True???)

3 If bike has u-brake and is ball burnished => Zaskar (only the 92 version of Pantera had a U brake and it didn't come in bb finish)

4. Try using the serial number (look at inside left rear dropout - but some bikes don't have a serial number). Then:

Quote:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Here is an email I got from an actual employee of GT:

If the bike frame was manufactured at the Santa Ana CA facility, the first three or four digits of the serial number should be letters abbreviating the model or size of the frame such as "XL", "XXL", CR24, or something like that The next part of the serial number is eight numeric digits. The first four numbers should be a two digit month followed by a two digit year. The last four digits are the serialization digits 0000 to 9999 depending on what number the frame was of the years production.


..But non-American frames have a different serial number style - it starts with a letter that codes the frame maker, and possibly uses another let to ocde assembly country, and then two letters to code date:

Quote:
if your serial is KGCG2297 this one gets a little complicated. but still easy once you learn the code to it.

the first letter is who made the frame itself, in this case it would be "Kenisis", an overseas company.this could be replaced by another letter but at least we know what that one is there for.

next is the letter "G"..this isnt always there, but if so, this is where it was assembled, (ever notice the built in usa sticker on your gt or dyno?) this is what that letter is there for. it wasnt made here, but was built here.

next is the letter "C"..C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet, and march is the 3rd month, so march is the build month.

next is the letter "G" this is the year. G is the 7th letter in the alphabet, so this would be a 1987.


If the frame number is American style, then you have a Zaskar - because all Panteras were Taiwanese made. But if the serial number is Taiwanese style then ou MAY have a Zaskar - you need to work out the date from the code and see if it is after the date (2000???) that Zaskar frames started to be built in Taiwan. That's if you count Taiwanese Zaskars as the real thing - there's a change in tubing, at least in name.

5. If there is no serial number, the bike is probably a Zaskar, because no one has recorded a Pantera with no serial number (???)

Questions:

- Is there anywhere you can look for a 7001 stamp on a Pantera?

- Were Taiwanese Zaskars built of a proprietary (columbus?) tubing that would have had its own stamp instead of 6061?

- Do Taiwanese Zaskars count as Zaskars?

Notes:

- Spankys serial number = yes, 91 Zaskar!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm
Posts: 4856
Location: All you other Iron Men are just imitating
Someone on here must have created an app for this by now surely. :D



PurpleFrog wrote:
This is my attempt an a complete Zaskar Identification Algorithm:

1. Rounded endcap on top tube (ie where it sticks out behind the seat tube) => no; never a zaskar

2. 6061 stamp (usually on inside right rear dropout, may be missing) => yes, always a Zaskar (unless someone has added a false stamp! has anyone heard of this?)

You have now divided most zaskars and non-zaskars! The only bike that can now confuse you is a 92 or 92 Pantera - the only other GTs to have flat endcaps. (True???)

3 If bike has u-brake and is ball burnished => Zaskar (only the 92 version of Pantera had a U brake and it didn't come in bb finish)

4. Try using the serial number (look at inside left rear dropout - but some bikes don't have a serial number). Then:

Quote:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Here is an email I got from an actual employee of GT:

If the bike frame was manufactured at the Santa Ana CA facility, the first three or four digits of the serial number should be letters abbreviating the model or size of the frame such as "XL", "XXL", CR24, or something like that The next part of the serial number is eight numeric digits. The first four numbers should be a two digit month followed by a two digit year. The last four digits are the serialization digits 0000 to 9999 depending on what number the frame was of the years production.


..But non-American frames have a different serial number style - it starts with a letter that codes the frame maker, and possibly uses another let to ocde assembly country, and then two letters to code date:

Quote:
if your serial is KGCG2297 this one gets a little complicated. but still easy once you learn the code to it.

the first letter is who made the frame itself, in this case it would be "Kenisis", an overseas company.this could be replaced by another letter but at least we know what that one is there for.

next is the letter "G"..this isnt always there, but if so, this is where it was assembled, (ever notice the built in usa sticker on your gt or dyno?) this is what that letter is there for. it wasnt made here, but was built here.

next is the letter "C"..C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet, and march is the 3rd month, so march is the build month.

next is the letter "G" this is the year. G is the 7th letter in the alphabet, so this would be a 1987.


If the frame number is American style, then you have a Zaskar - because all Panteras were Taiwanese made. But if the serial number is Taiwanese style then ou MAY have a Zaskar - you need to work out the date from the code and see if it is after the date (2000???) that Zaskar frames started to be built in Taiwan. That's if you count Taiwanese Zaskars as the real thing - there's a change in tubing, at least in name.

5. If there is no serial number, the bike is probably a Zaskar, because no one has recorded a Pantera with no serial number (???)

Questions:

- Is there anywhere you can look for a 7001 stamp on a Pantera?

- Were Taiwanese Zaskars built of a proprietary (columbus?) tubing that would have had its own stamp instead of 6061?

- Do Taiwanese Zaskars count as Zaskars?

Notes:

- Spankys serial number = yes, 91 Zaskar!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:53 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26186
Location: Moomin Valley
There is no difference for 'LE' badged frames up to at least 1996 (I didnt bother with research after that, I've only had '93 to '97 models). It was just component choice, mine was an LE but came with XT and MAG21 from the shop.

As for straight leg forks, they dont look too bad...

Reynolds forks:

Image

Heres another I made a while ago with big daft steel forks:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 24pouces, Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, secret_squirrel, Thias, WandsworthRouleur and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group