Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:22 am 
Retro Guru

looks like a good zas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 pm 
Retro Guru

merckx wrote:
looks like a good zas

I know,I've always wanted one but it had to be an early one plus with him living only 10 mins from my house it'd silly not to have a look :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:44 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

do check for the 6001 /7005 material number
if its 7005 it might be a pantera al

nowt wrong with that but no a zaskar

£ 175 tops tho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Retro Guru

I wouldn't buy an Oakley Zaskar - because I wouldn't want to make a spectacle of myself...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:00 pm 
Retro Guru

To get a 1992 pantera then spend hours polishing it seem a massive job.

Too much of a job, but again its something I would have done :)

It's hot the original 6061 sticker on the seat tube but again it could be a new one.

I'd have bought it if it was smaller :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Antfox wrote:
To get a 1992 pantera then spend hours polishing it seem a massive job.

Too much of a job, but again its something I would have done :)

It's hot the original 6061 sticker on the seat tube but again it could be a new one.

I'd have bought it if it was smaller :)

If its a pantera i'll not be buying it but if its what it says it is i can see a XTR build gonna happen :facepalm:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Retro Guru

XTR for the win :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:14 pm 
Retro Guru

When I asked questions regarding identifying early Zaskars on here a couple of months ago, the consensus was that the 6061 is not necessarily going to be there, even on a pukka Zaskar. However - the frame number on any GT frame made in the Taiwan (i.e. Pantera that we might suspect in this case) begins with a letter not month/year numerals. Frames made in Huntington Beach, California have frame numbers beginning with month/year numerals.

My Zaskar has no 6061 stamp, and the frame number starts 0491 - which bears that ^^ out.

edit: The frame you're interested in looks totally identical to mine, so I'd say it's definitely a Zaskar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:32 pm 
Retro Guru

paddy311 wrote:
When I asked questions regarding identifying early Zaskars on here a couple of months ago, the consensus was that the 6061 is not necessarily going to be there, even on a pukka Zaskar. However - the frame number on any GT frame made in the Taiwan (i.e. Pantera that we might suspect in this case) begins with a letter not month/year numerals. Frames made in Huntington Beach, California have frame numbers beginning with month/year numerals.

My Zaskar has no 6061 stamp, and the frame number starts 0491 - which bears that ^^ out.

edit: The frame you're interested in looks totally identical to mine, so I'd say it's definitely a Zaskar.

Cheers for that extra bit of information mate,i'll keep that in mind tommorrow when i have a look. What year is yours mate? And anyone know when they changed from u brake to cantilevers that would narrower the year of the bike down a bit.

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Spanky22b wrote:
paddy311 wrote:

Cheers for that extra bit of information mate,i'll keep that in mind tommorrow when i have a look. What year is yours mate? And anyone know when they changed from u brake to cantilevers that would narrower the year of the bike down a bit.

Cheers Chris

No worries, Chris. Mine is April '91 (hence 0491 at the start of the frame number).

I think they dropped the U brake for the '93 model year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next