Sell my modern Full Suss to build my dream retro bike?

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK so I'm going through a bit of a dilemma and I don't know what to do. I guess posting here, I am going to get the answers that I secretly want to hear ;)

Anyhoo. I have a 2011 Lapierre Spciy, 160mm of travel, big burly bike that'll hammer the Alps and any big mountains that I decide I am brave enough to fling it down. Thing is, I don't really do any of that stuff any more, I have responsibilities and value my limbs/head/face so am too much of a wimp to give it the full beans.

I reckon I could get a couple of grand for it, maybe more if I split it who knows. My dream bike has always been a Fat Ti; when I was about 14 I was in the Surrey hills with my Dad and some dude had one ('93 or '94 this was) and ever since then it's been the thing of dreams for me (could never afford it).

Now I'm thinking that selling the modern full bouncer and lovingly building up a Ti could fulfil a childhood dream....but it would mean that the trails will never be as supple or as fast as they are with my modern ride. Yes, that does mean I would want to use the Ti regularly!

This poses another question that I'm sure has been posed on here before - about meeting your childhood hero. I can't see how a Fat Ti could ever disappoint mind you.

Very much on the fence on this one, I have a nice Buck Shaver that I've recently built up, and I still have the Lapierre for the bigger stuff. Good balance? Or maybe I should just expand the Fat collection to two? Or more?!

do it! sell the new bike,live your dream. I had always wanted a San Andreas since first seeing one in M.B.U.K. magazine test. at the time the frame alone was £1850 and way out of my price range found one secondhand a few years ago which I could afford and will never sell it now.

go on! go on! go on!!

if you are not usuing the lapierre at all, then sell, if you are not using it to its full potential and can keep it then I owuld hang on to it; otherwise sell it.

in 20 years, mtb has improved vastly in leaps and bounds, most signifiucantly being disc brakes and suspension forks to the bike you are looking to building will never ride as well as the lapierre but so what? ... and it it goes bad, you could alwasy sell it on and won't loose anywhere as near as much as you would on a new bike..

PS could you post photo of the la papier and the "dream bike" so i know wot you are on about :)

02gf74":uu8c9pdb said:
if you are not usuing the lapierre at all, then sell, if you are not using it to its full potential and can keep it then I owuld hang on to it; otherwise sell it.

in 20 years, mtb has improved vastly in leaps and bounds, most signifiucantly being disc brakes and suspension forks to the bike you are looking to building will never ride as well as the lapierre but so what? ... and it it goes bad, you could alwasy sell it on and won't loose anywhere as near as much as you would on a new bike..

PS could you post photo of the la papier and the "dream bike" so i know wot you are on about :)

Yeah I agree, in terms of the trails I can ride now it's a different world really. However, I just don't use it to it's full potential. Pics of what I mean are below..

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • fat-ti_mba-july-1993.jpg
    fat-ti_mba-july-1993.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,005
Live the dream. I need to battle with similar demons as I have accumulated lots of retro bikes but should really pick my dream bike/build and go with that rather than have so many bikes, nice that they are.

There might even be room for a modern one too, but maybe not (kind of regret selling my giant xtc as having modern forks and brakes was nice for a while, though not essential by any means).

If the FS is more bike then you need I'd get rid and (if I was you) replace it with another modern bike but with a bit less travel, say 130-140mm. I love all my bikes but nearly always grab the Orange 5 as it does everything well imo.

Saying that, you shouldn't lose money on the Fat if you look after it so maybe scratch that itch then you can always sell it again and still have a decent chunk of cash for a different bike in the future.

brocklanders023":159nauy4 said:
If the FS is more bike then you need I'd get rid and (if I was you) replace it with another modern bike but with a bit less travel, say 130-140mm. I love all my bikes but nearly always grab the Orange 5 as it does everything well imo.

Saying that, you shouldn't lose money on the Fat if you look after it so maybe scratch that itch then you can always sell it again and still have a decent chunk of cash for a different bike in the future.

I'm thinking exactly that....ridden my mate's 5 Pro and it's excellent. Thinking that if I get enough from my Lapierre then I can buy a Ti frame and maybe have some left over for a second hand 140mm travel jobby....

Do it, Lapierre's are 10 a penny, Fat Ti's are far more "exlcusive", and if its your dream bike then you owe it to yourself to get one.
Even if you find in a year or two's time you'd rather have another modern full-susser, at least you can go to sleep at night safe in the knowledge that you have owned and ridden your dream bike.

Man, can I relate to this!

See this... LINK

Then this! LINK

No way I couldn't own it.

Don't meet your heros? Rubbish, you'll forever regret NOT owning a fat Ti, you KNOW they're good bikes. If the lack of suspension gets to you, late 90s/early 2000 parts go for peanuts (There's a nice Schwinn/Pace combo available in the for sale section for £260... :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm: )

Back