Chainring bolt help!! (Middleburn RS7)

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am installing a RS7 cranks but I've hit on a snag with the inner chainring bolts. Standard ones are too long as they are bottoming out before they tighten the granny ring onto the crank. I can't see any shorter bolts for sale anywhere (not done an exhaustive search yet though).
The spacing between the chainrings seems to be ok without any washers - is that correct? Or do I need washers?

Not had any problems with my RS7s, what bolts are you using? I used Middleburn bolts, perhaps your bolts are slightly longer. I've had problems in the past with bolts being too long on a set of raceface cranks.

What are they bottoming out on?

On my RS7's the tapped hole runs straight through the spider, so any excess thread is seen from the outside.

Are we talking middle, or granny ring here?

Don't the bolts just go straight through the spider?

Of course you may have a different spider to me, mine is 94 / 58.

I came upon this with my 94/58 spider, which had blind holes for the inner. Fortunately I had some other bolts in the toolbox and used them. I think there's about 1mm difference in length that does it - it was almost (but not quite) tight on the ring.

hamster":3knuacth said:
I came upon this with my 94/58 spider, which had blind holes for the inner. Fortunately I had some other bolts in the toolbox and used them. I think there's about 1mm difference in length that does it - it was almost (but not quite) tight on the ring.

That's exactly the same amount as me, about 1mm.

Short bolts seem to cost a fortune though. :-(

Back