late 70's early 80's Dawes Galaxy 531 'project bike'

Neoleaver

Retro Newbie
Alright all, Ive got an old Dawes galaxy tourer, built from classic 531 tubes, been in a shed for donkey's years and a few cables have been stripped but its basically all there component wise, frame forks, post stem, bars, chainset, mechs wheels,brooks saddle most of the cables have been nicked and it may need a bolt here and there, tyres/tubes have rotted.....project for someone???
Thing is I need a 19in steel mountain frame or complete bike, and also have a Giant boulder shock 17.5in complete bike in good nick so I'm thinking maybe a swap of some kind might be in order...if anyone is interested let me know, i'll pull everything out and give details as requested. Again what I need is a 19/20in (90's)mountain bike so either a straight swap for the Giant 17.5in bike and/or galaxy 531 bike is what I'd be after...advice on the value of what I have would be appreciated, will try get photo's up if anyone is interested. cheers.

My father had an '80s Dawes Galaxy from new. Before selling he spent about GBP80 'doing it up' for the next owner (new tyres, chain, cables etc). It didn't sell through advertising and eventully it sold at auction for GBP40. This was a super clean bike, no crash damage, rust or major scratches and it was complete, bottle cages, pump, mudguards the lot.
They are decent bikes but not valuable.

Got a Marin Palisades 1991 frame forks, headset, seat post, bars, bb and chain set that I would consider swapping for the Galaxy. Size is 18.5" centre to top.

Hey Hamster, sounds interesting, let me get some pics sorted (ive got a lot on over the next few days so bear with me!) and we can maybe take it from there, I'll get a list of components together too but to give you an idea its mostly Suntour Cyclone Gt, SR stuff, Weinman brakes and levers, lovely ols schooly stuff. Again bear with me I'll sort it out ASAP, cheers and thanks for the estimate RadNomad as I thought the value in monetary terms isnt huge, but its definately a great project for someone who enjoys tinkering with the old stuff and breathing some new life into it.
Hamster would you prefer I pm'd you the pics?

Yes it's a shame how people value nice things so little. A bike like that, well maintained can last a lifetime, take you to amazing places and provide so much enjoyment. A decent quality bicycle with nice components at modest cost has got to be the best value transportation on the planet.

Back