Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Postage costs killer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 pm 
Old School Hero

Another thumbs up for Hermes. What I really like about it is that I can sort everything out at home(paying, printing off labels etc), then just drop it in at the shop down the road. The shop in question is an 8 til late, and I can drop in a parcel at any time. Compare this to how long I used to queue at the post office(mostly office hours only, had to go at lunch during work when it was busiest), added to Hermes lower prices and I'll hopefully never set foot in a post office again.

Regards

Marge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:42 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

For the record I have no problem with courier prices and don't begrudge someone making money, but it does make bike jumbles/local sales a lot more appealing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Tc wrote:
Well I'm in the process of getting rid of as much stuff as I can so i can concentrate on riding & to finish my Yo, but the postage costs are frickin mental now, I've just posted 6 items at a cost if £30 & I've made a loss!
Anyone else peed off with Turpin mail?

Tc :evil:

This is why ive in the past used the box of mystery.
Admittedly you have to put good bits in there and it must be a big bargain.
Calculating all the costs. bubblewrap,sticky stuff etc then the time to take everything to the PO, fuel or bus costs. in the end a BofM works out well for everybody.
You get major karma for making such a good deal( probably a friend for life too :lol:) and you only have one item to post. It covers the royal mails criteria as youre filling the entire volume is it makes good sense that way. Might be a bit much you think to post but add up all the costs of the single packets and its a major saving.

Things ive added to mine-
Hope- Brakes, stems HS's. Chris kiing headsets. XT shifters, grips, crap bits i could never use. some new some old all working and in good condition with the odd couple of pants parts chucked in to satisfy ying and yang

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:31 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

The recent rounds of price increases were crazy. I've looked at MyHermes, but the nearest dropoff shop is too far away to be convenient, there are other alternatives, but I have trust issues!
I think local has to be the way to go, maybe by setting up collect only classifieds in the local area groups. Certainly good for moving bigger low value items and maybe even good for building bridges and communities too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:42 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

Royal is how I post most stuff and the price is still O.K. For anything that is medium parcel then a courier is needed. A box 8"x8"x8" or smaller still counts as a small parcel which is useful.

My hermes is too slow so is pointless. I am not convinced it is reliable either