Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:35 am 

Hey guys,

Today I was lucky enough to be given a Kona Cinder Cone which I am VERY grateful for, I thought it was going to be a piece of crap but to be honest after removing some of the dust (and believe me there's a lot) I found that the bike was in mint condition. Owned by a lovely lady who used it only to commute to school and back with the kids!

Anyway, I wa amazed that the chain was in good condition (no rust at all), the frame is mint under the dirt and the groupset is Deore LX! I was expecting something a lot less in quality so I was pretty amazed to say the least, the brakes are nice and sharp and the seat is brill too!

I have to say it is light as a feather and I already love the bike to bits, I'm thinking of modernising it with a splash of paint, but not sure just yet....we will see.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys knew the year because I haven't the foggiest. So if you can help with that, then that would be great. I rode her home from the woman I got it from and it glided all the way back to mine, I am a very happy chappy.

Cheers,

Aarron

Below are a few photos, sorry there not brilliant, I was in a rush and using my phone lol. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 am 
Dirt Disciple

1996. Don't paint it! Just clean and maybe polish/wax. You'll be suprised at how nice it will look.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 am 
Old School Grand Master

Yep it's a 96 mid season version; the "normal" one is in gold. They ran cantis so along with the levers yours have been replaced with some modern, lower spec v's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:25 am 

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I have to say I am VERY happy with the bike especially as I got it for free...very grateful!

I think its in outstanding condition to be honest, just needs some cleaning and it will be fantastic. I was contemplating respraying it white as the near pink colour isn't my fave colour, although it has grown on me a little.

Is this a rare-ish find? Just I cannot find any other Cinder Cone online in this model and colour etc

Thanks

Aarron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:13 am 
Old School Grand Master

IamAarron wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I have to say I am VERY happy with the bike especially as I got it for free...very grateful!

I think its in outstanding condition to be honest, just needs some cleaning and it will be fantastic. I was contemplating respraying it white as the near pink colour isn't my fave colour, although it has grown on me a little.

Is this a rare-ish find? Just I cannot find any other Cinder Cone online in this model and colour etc

Thanks

Aarron

I wouldn't do anything to that bike at all (except sell it to me if you feel like it ;) ) - it's a beauty.

I don't think it's particularly rare - it probably just wasn't as popular as the gold one and may not have been stocked in quite so many bike shops. You're a very lucky guy to have been gifted that :) :)

Oh, and if you're still thinking about respraying it, PLEASE don't do it white - that seems to be the standard colour for resprayed Konas!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 am 

Barneyballbags wrote:

I wouldn't do anything to that bike at all (except sell it to me if you feel like it ;) ) - it's a beauty.

I don't think it's particularly rare - it probably just wasn't as popular as the gold one and may not have been stocked in quite so many bike shops. You're a very lucky guy to have been gifted that :) :)

Oh, and if you're still thinking about respraying it, PLEASE don't do it white - that seems to be the standard colour for resprayed Konas!

Hey Barney,

I'm in need of a car at the moment so may need to sell something soon to pay for one....don't want to sell this but if it came down to it then I might for the right cash. I wouldn't even now what to price this little beast for if I were to sell her. I really don't want to right now but it is a possibility in the future.

I've seen the white Kona's you speak of and I actually quite like them, however I'm a bit of an oddball so I would more likely opt for something similar in colour to the old Santa Cruz Chameleon green....I love that colour! (Image below for reference).

Cheers,

Aarron

Chameleon green: (not sure of actual name of colour)

photo source: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -chameleon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:56 am 
Old School Grand Master

If you like green, then it has to be Fat Chance Grello 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 am 

Barneyballbags wrote:
If you like green, then it has to be Fat Chance Grello 8)

Very close to what I was thinking Barney. I've got some Magura HS33's (Quicksilver's) that I may put on the bike seeing as it is Gripshift. Not sure yet though, if I did put them on I'm not sure if I would leave them silver or change them to the same green and with black levers....(or black with green levers..hmm. lol)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 am 
Old School Grand Master

Your other option would be to pick a colour scheme (say from a racing car/team) that you really like, and have it painted the same way.

Here's what Gravy Monster did with his Kilauea frame. He had it done in the Gulf Racing colours - I think it's possibly the nicest one I've ever seen 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 am 

I've decided....this is the way forward hahaha: