Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

sorry if this has already been posted!

when I started riding, 6 speed cassettes were normal. Then it was 7... then 8, 9, 10, 11... and I just read that sram are coming out with a "new" 7 speed cassette (again)... whatever will they think of next? :roll:

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/spotted-sra ... rivetrain/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm looking forward to Sturmey Archers new 3 speed downhill groupset.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Makes sense in a lot of respects smooth tiny gear steps are far more beneficial for uphill riding than down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 pm 
Old School Hero

secret_squirrel wrote:
Makes sense in a lot of respects smooth tiny gear steps are far more beneficial for uphill riding than down.

Except that the article says it's for downhill (which also makes sense - downhillers don't need granny gears so can get away with higher ratios with small steps)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 pm 
Retro Guru

Elysarian wrote:
secret_squirrel wrote:

Except that the article says it's for downhill (which also makes sense - downhillers don't need granny gears so can get away with higher ratios with small steps)

You missed the point of the article and also my cryptic first post - on a DH some riders are less choosy about a smooth set tiny set of gear jumps, presumably since they are mostly at full power they can afford bigger jumps in gearing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 pm 
Old School Hero

Remind me not to post tired? >.<

you are, of course, correct :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:40 am 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike

I've been using a 6 speed block with 9 speed spacing on a Hope single speed cassette hub for the last 2 years. Works perfectly. Gives you a nice wide spoke flange spacing, effectively a dishless wheel and a cog set perfect for normal British riding when combined with a couple of small cogs up front:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm 
Retro Guru

pete_mcc wrote:
I've been using a 6 speed block with 9 speed spacing on a Hope single speed cassette hub for the last 2 years. Works perfectly. Gives you a nice wide spoke flange spacing, effectively a dishless wheel and a cog set perfect for normal British riding when combined with a couple of small cogs up front:

Interesting - can you go into more detail? Single speed cassette hub sounds contradictory to me - where did all the parts come from - what are the front rings?

Is there a build thread?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Since when has 9 speed spacing been perfect for British riding conditions? In gloopy conditions it's a clog fest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 pm 

Chopper1192 wrote:
Since when has 9 speed spacing been perfect for British riding conditions? In gloopy conditions it's a clog fest.

I'm not so sure, on balance I find it's no worse than 5, 6, 7 or 8 speed when you look at cogging and ability to shift in the mud.

The great thing with modern kit is its better made, clears quicker and shifts smoother. Were 5 or 6 speed made using modern technology, materials or tooth profiling then no doubt it would be less liable to clog and shift better in the mud than modern 9 speed but in its existing form its not - its clunky and struggles badly when muddy to shift under pressure and still clogs because it's got poor tooth profiling, thick cogs and chunky chains.

Secret Squirrel wrote:
Interesting - can you go into more detail? Single speed cassette hub sounds contradictory to me - where did all the parts come from - what are the front rings?

I use a middle and granny ring (22 and 34) with a bash guard. It looses on the top end speed but then I rarely get into the top ring when riding in the woods, also I rarely need a spinning granny gear cos I live in the south east rather than the north, Wales or Scotland.

The Hope SS hub has a mini cassette on it with shimano splines:

it means you can use multiple cogs rather than a single cog and spacers as designed. I use an action-tec ti cassette as it allows you to use single cogs and also has a combined lock ring small cog which means you can get 6 cogs rather than 5 on were you to use a shimano cassette.
The set up also means you can use a nice tight short arm road mech and shorter chain which I find means less chain slap, suck and derailment.
No specific build thread but I'll try and get some photos up when I get home