we're back to 7 speed again!

secret_squirrel":1ew2jkf9 said:
Makes sense in a lot of respects smooth tiny gear steps are far more beneficial for uphill riding than down.

Except that the article says it's for downhill (which also makes sense - downhillers don't need granny gears so can get away with higher ratios with small steps)

Elysarian":3dmp07t1 said:
secret_squirrel":3dmp07t1 said:
Makes sense in a lot of respects smooth tiny gear steps are far more beneficial for uphill riding than down.

Except that the article says it's for downhill (which also makes sense - downhillers don't need granny gears so can get away with higher ratios with small steps)

You missed the point of the article and also my cryptic first post - on a DH some riders are less choosy about a smooth set tiny set of gear jumps, presumably since they are mostly at full power they can afford bigger jumps in gearing.

I've been using a 6 speed block with 9 speed spacing on a Hope single speed cassette hub for the last 2 years. Works perfectly. Gives you a nice wide spoke flange spacing, effectively a dishless wheel and a cog set perfect for normal British riding when combined with a couple of small cogs up front:

EA3062B5-3B50-4594-AC0A-61E3B784784F-413-000000E8ABA8AC6A_zps98c2a108.jpg

pete_mcc":na51kzcs said:
I've been using a 6 speed block with 9 speed spacing on a Hope single speed cassette hub for the last 2 years. Works perfectly. Gives you a nice wide spoke flange spacing, effectively a dishless wheel and a cog set perfect for normal British riding when combined with a couple of small cogs up front:

Interesting - can you go into more detail? Single speed cassette hub sounds contradictory to me - where did all the parts come from - what are the front rings?

Is there a build thread?

Chopper1192":22wx2cjd said:
Since when has 9 speed spacing been perfect for British riding conditions? In gloopy conditions it's a clog fest.

I'm not so sure, on balance I find it's no worse than 5, 6, 7 or 8 speed when you look at cogging and ability to shift in the mud.

The great thing with modern kit is its better made, clears quicker and shifts smoother. Were 5 or 6 speed made using modern technology, materials or tooth profiling then no doubt it would be less liable to clog and shift better in the mud than modern 9 speed but in its existing form its not - its clunky and struggles badly when muddy to shift under pressure and still clogs because it's got poor tooth profiling, thick cogs and chunky chains.

Secret Squirrel":22wx2cjd said:
Interesting - can you go into more detail? Single speed cassette hub sounds contradictory to me - where did all the parts come from - what are the front rings?

I use a middle and granny ring (22 and 34) with a bash guard. It looses on the top end speed but then I rarely get into the top ring when riding in the woods, also I rarely need a spinning granny gear cos I live in the south east rather than the north, Wales or Scotland.

The Hope SS hub has a mini cassette on it with shimano splines:
hope-pro2-evo-trials-singlespeed-rear-hub.jpg

it means you can use multiple cogs rather than a single cog and spacers as designed. I use an action-tec ti cassette as it allows you to use single cogs and also has a combined lock ring small cog which means you can get 6 cogs rather than 5 on were you to use a shimano cassette.
The set up also means you can use a nice tight short arm road mech and shorter chain which I find means less chain slap, suck and derailment.
No specific build thread but I'll try and get some photos up when I get home

Latest posts

Back