Too many bikes, but I just can't sell them.

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I know I have too many bikes, most of us who are on this forum recognise that we are suffering from an incurable affliction.

Every time I rationalise and run through my stable of bikes both built and under construction, I realise I always have two bikes more than I can justify to myself, but try as I might I just can't bring myself to sell any.

It's like looking at a basket full of puppies or kittens, they look at you all trusting and safe and you think.... oh I can't get rid of that one, it'll have to be a different one, but you look at the next one and it's the same.

I'm just too soft hearted and sentimental.

On the plus side, bikes don't need feeding (other than with money) and you don't have to pick up their poo in little plastic bags.

Share this problem, which one(s) to go, 5 MTB's & one road bike, plus I want a TT bike. Realistically I do much more riding on the road now, but I just can't seem to cull my MTB's, oddly the Marin I bought to abuse is one of my favourites but is the least special, to me & in rarity/value terms.

Rarity and value seem to play no part, as I am equally attached to my Yates Diabolo, which rarely gets used, other than on the turbo, as I am to any of the others, and the trouble is, I just keep building more :shock:

It happens - you go through a 'I must own everything that I come across' stage, then the riding starts. This stage weeds out the good looking but crap riding bikes and leaves you with the odd looking but amazing ride stuff.

The perhaps final stage of all this is that you are left with a garage full of bikes that only you can ride and that no-one else could possibly want.

Keep thinking I need to sell a bike or two but all I ever manage is to add more and more. The latest been a Mark Cavendish edition S-Wprks Venge :facepalm: I only went to the concept store for a nose around.

legrandefromage":96eh1ldw said:
It happens - you go through a 'I must own everything that I come across' stage, then the riding starts.

Wise words indeed LGF, unfortunately, my weakness is hand made steel frames from British masters of their art (well one American), and so although there are differences and preferences depending on the type of riding to be undertaken, there is not really a sucker in the bunch. There are a couple I don't use as much, but when I do ride them I have such a blast that the inclination to sell immediately disappears.

RD: A Cavendish Venge... NICE :twisted:

Welcome to my world Neil ;)

Done well downsizing the fleet until this years Ride2Work application form arrived.....bike number seven will be here later this week!

Stu

I'm in culling mode. Giving the RM Hammer to the ex, will probably give the Fire Mountain to her mother while she's in town to visit her, selling the RM Stratos to a neighbour, GT Karakoram is going on the block, and I'll probably move at least one more.

stu":30jb50y5 said:
Welcome to my world Neil ;)

Done well downsizing the fleet until this years Ride2Work application form arrived.....bike number seven will be here later this week!

Stu

Yup, that's about the size of it.

FMJ: You are doing a lot better than me then. I did give the Bigfoot to my daughter for her birthday, but that sort of doesn't count, as it's family and also because we meet up and ride together. All the rest though.... I don't have enough relatives!

If you are careful, I bet you can redo the hooks in the shed so the bikes hang closer together. Wala. Problem solved. Of course it will take much more fondling to get one down to ride, but is that such a bad thing.

Back