How do modern XC hardtails compare with retrobikes?

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
I've never ridden a decent modern hardtail - maybe I should go to a trail centre and rent one? How do they compare to something like an Explosif or Zaskar? Discounting any component that could be installed on the older bike, like modern modern forks and disk brakes. Have geometry and handling changed much as bikes have become more (so to speak) specialized???

In terms of looks the modern ones are butt ugly

My Cotic Soul is a lot easier to ride harder than any of my retrobikes (despite being set up old school XC with only 100 mm travel Fox 32's)
Slacker head angles mean more stable cornering/maneuvers and the more upright/less weight on the wrists style means a less punishing time on the wrists.

My medium soul has a 23.5" top tube and is meant to be used with a short stem. I have a honking 90 mm long one on there. (i think a 70 mm is more the norm) effective teach is about the same / a smidge shorter as my normal retro rides/what i grew up with. my retros generally ahve a 22.5 - 23" top tube with a 110 - 135 mm stem all depending.

head tube angle is 68.8 with a 100 mm fork 2 - 3 degrees slacker then the old norm.

The problem is pigeon holing X bike in to Y category. What mountain bike tested the Zasker Carbon and mad point of its steep old school XC head angle making it feel nervous/handful (by comparison to the others on test - which it would)

if you have ridden a 90's design for many years, with your head down, arse up and steep head angle - a 'new' bike will feel as if the bars are up around your ears and that you are riding a shopper into town.

But, if you are used to early 80's designs with their more upright stance and slacker head angles, you'll feel ok-ish but then theres the budget... 'Decent' can cost a few quid, just as trying to find 'decent' 20 years ago.

That's certainly true of a typical modern trail HT lgf, but modern XC hard tails aren't as far removed from our mid 90s datum as their less focused modern trail brothers. I'm not sure everyone making the distinction between a modern all round trail ht, and a sharper XC ht, which are different animals indeed.

The difference is largely at the front end. Modern hardtails are usually significantly higher with alot more suspension travel in the forks.
You'll also no doubt notice the extra power available from modern disc brakes and modern tyre compounds.

I generally ride a modern steel hardtail with 130mm of travel up front. It's alot easier to ride, especially on rocky downhills, but riding retro is good for skills and good for the soul.

Try one out if you can, but keep hold of your old stuff too.

legrandefromage":1nvhkoim said:
if you have ridden a 90's design for many years, with your head down, arse up and steep head angle - a 'new' bike will feel as if the bars are up around your ears and that you are riding a shopper into town.

Agree 100% with that statement. I had a five minute ride on a modern hardtail today, I offered an interested party a short ride on my Kona Lava Dome. I jumped on his modern hardtail and it felt, well, just wrong. My hands were sat up in the air and I couldn't pull on the bars properly in order to accelerate.

Very odd.

The other chap loved the angles and ride of the Kona and asked if I was thinking of selling it.......

Back