Advantages of titanium cassettes?

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently picked up an unused M960 ti cassette as part of a trade and am having second thoughts about using it.Are there any real advantages to them?I hear that they wear quicker and new Deore 9speed cassettes(Ive been happily using them on my m952/m960 set up) can be had for 20 quid or so,this one in its current condition could sell for 80.

They are very light. However, they are also frail. If you massively need a teeny weight saving ride it. Personally I use low-end SRAM cassettes as they are cheap and last.

If you have the money to spare ride it into the ground and giggle at the lovely feeling of riding uber-bling whilst no one understands what you're grinning about.
If you don't have the money sell it for a nice big wedge of cash and stock up on EXTREMELY LIGHT Sram 8 speed cassettes.

Advantages: low weight, bling.
Disadvantages: eye watering cost, rapid wear, snapped teeth (Probably not with shimano or campag but have seen it with others, cheap ti)

TBH, most of the time I raced, a full xtr or da groupset would be provided with an xt or ultegra cassette. So we would only get through 2 a year instead of 4. Cuts the number of races you end up doing with a knackered cassette too.
Good number of pro teams do the same, use the highest all steel cassette on their ultra bling race machines. Crack out the ti for the team photos and press days.

They will be lighter than a steel cassette/gog of the same size, cost lots more and if looked ater should wear as well as a steel cassette. If the correct grade is used it will be no more prone to wearing out than a steel one (not helped by lowprofile HG/powerglite teeth profiles)

Does anyone actually know the grade of Titanium in the shimano cassettes? Because I do and hav done for a long time, I just haven't said because noone wants to hear the truth, and that's me included.

They save a huge amount of weight by ensuring that your wallet is always as light as a feather after you've bought one.

Back