BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
:mrgreen:

Found this in the road section on an excellent restoration thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=142773

Its a parallel brake design from at least 1982.

zzzxxx.jpg

Solex isn't a v brake, arm pivots above the pads, its more a U-brake. Theres nothing new in bikes as an elderly cyclist now departed this earth used to tell me, over and over and over again :roll:

BITD when I was working in On Your Bike at London Bridge, a guy came in with a set of home-made V-brakes that he was toutign around trying to get support for. That would have been '94/'95.
They were very simple looking but nicely finished.

I came across some other early road ones the other day when researching some things on brakes, but I can't remember what brand/where I found them/any other details.

That's my helpful contribution to the thread :)

IIRC Mike Burrows' monocoque low-pro had a rear mounted V in 1982, before he swapped to the mono fork pictured. Very similar time and influence as the Martin Pyne bike.:
DSCN2506_0.JPG

I think it might have been one side fixed, other floating, though.

I took a picture at a bike show...got a picture somewhere (proper negative/take it to Boots/wait a week type).
If I find it, I'll scan it.

All the best,

velomaniac":2of49hw4 said:
Solex isn't a v brake, arm pivots above the pads, its more a U-brake.

True. V-brake-esque linear actuation, though, rather than a straddle wire. Although it's pushing the arms apart rather than pulling them together.

I'm sure I've seen a pic of some old Honda moped from the 70s with what's very much a V-brake on it, but I can't find that one now.

I'm liking that Solex brake, specially the plunger actuator, genius:

Solex-Parts-10_zpsb133de10.jpg

The whole plate construction thing's a bit frightening, though. Reminds me of the 40s B&T Manx brake:
b&tmanx4.JPG

Anyway, back to the OP...30 yrs later, plus ca change: The Ridley Noah TT frame with carbon integrated brake...looks familiar:
2012-ridley-noah-FB-aero-road-bike-front-brake01_zps86fb676a.jpg

All the best,

MikeD":2cc4dpqe said:
velomaniac":2cc4dpqe said:
Solex isn't a v brake, arm pivots above the pads, its more a U-brake.

I'm sure I've seen a pic of some old Honda moped from the 70s with what's very much a V-brake on it, but I can't find that one now.

I've seen that pic of the Honda 'ped aswell, it was a few years ago mind :?

Latest posts

Back