96 Kona Kilauea - bent!

Gnarly Mavis

Retro Newbie
Hi,

3rd ride out after restoring (to fully rigid) my bought-from-new 96 Kilauea at the top of Deer Stalker, Swinley, I flicked a stick up into the rear wheel and have completely mangled the rear hanger - as well as the mech and chain.

Can anyone help with how to go about fixing the drop-out?

It's at about 45 degrees so I don't think cold bending it back would work - even though it's steel. I'm guessing it'd have to go to a frame-builder type?

thanks!

Attachments

• bike damage 1.JPG
    bike damage 1.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 889
This really sucks of course, but I think it can be saved. I bent the fork end on my Cinelli (on the first ride following its restoration) and a frame builder straightened it for under $100. Bet you swore a blue streak after that mishap.

BTW welcome to RetroBike

Steven

Hi Gnarly, welcome.

That's definitely the kind of stuff you want a framebuilder to work on.
When he's done with it, I'd suggest sanding down the paint around the area where you now see bare metal. That way you can touch it up really nicely.

Chas Roberts is in Croydon: +44 (0)20 8684 3370

Hopefully he can help. I need to have a go at the new Swinley trails on a rigid!

SP

I've done worse - I managed to bend my Pine Mountain's so that the mech was upside down!
A framebuilder's expertise and some heat should fix it.
I rode the frame for another 10 years with no problem.

We used to blow torch bent hangers in the old shop to good effect.............best job was angle grinding cranks off with striped threads :twisted:

Bit of a hike from Berks, but Argos in Bristol would make a good job of that for you. The drive side drop out is the Achilles heel of many steel Konas and Argos do a nice job of replacing the whole part.

Back