when is nos not nos?

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
when you have fitted it/used it.
buy a pair of tyres in 1986, leave them in the loft for 25 years, get them out of the loft and list them in the fs section. yes nos.
buy a stem from ebay that comes in a box, only fitted to see what its like, dont like it take it off and list it in the fs section. not nos. you fitted it, its not how it was bought all those years ago because it wasnt fitted all those years ago. even shops cant describe their demo stuff as nos when it comes time to sell, shop soiled/used yes but not new. theres a clue in the word there.
rant over.

I'm in total agreement. The amount of stuff advertised on eBay- and here as well - that gets described as NOS because it looks a bit shiny is shocking.

It needs to be 'new', unused, preferably in its packaging, and unmarked.

New is new, old stock or otherwise. Even if it has been fitted and removed without clocking up any mileage, it is still used in my book, albeit in mint condition..

If I've fitted it, it no longer is NOS and I sell it as used, explaining it has only been fitted and not ridden. NOS has to be completely unused and unfitted.

Alison

I think they should disallow it to be used in the description completely. the only time it is considered new is when it has benn retailed. technically its second or even third hand by the time it hits the store but for the legality of warranty its considered new at the point of sale.
trek offer a lifetime warranty on the oclv to the original purchaser. If I bought a y foil back in the day and sold it without using it I could describe it as nos. Trek would see it very differently if the second owner tried to claim.
you cant polish "new" into anything, no matter how hard you try.

My personal favourite was a frame advertised on here some time ago by a now banned member as being NOS because he had only ridden for 50 miles TWAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Alison please excuse my French) :facepalm:

kermitgreenkona88":3ckblxw3 said:
My personal favourite was a frame advertised on here some time ago by a now banned member as being NOS because he had only ridden for 50 miles TWAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Alison please excuse my French) :facepalm:

:shock: :LOL: :LOL: your excused :LOL: :LOL:

Alison

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys whether its billed as NOS, (Nearly)NOS, Mint or MintChocChip

If I buy it, its because I like it and at that price, and its getting used no matter what pigeon hole someone wants to label it with (deliberate mixing of semaphores there ;)).I painted black some "NOS in the packet RC20" chainrings because I needed them black, and wanted those particular rings

NOS to me is an excuse to charge more, doesn't guarantee anything, and comes across as a tad pretentious

Same in the VW world... NOS = big bucks, but is meaningless ultimately
I needed a new full front quarter panel/inner wing for my '63 Beetle when I was welding it up. I found a guy with 2. The "NOS one was still in the original wax wrapping, he wanted £300 for it, but you could feel a huge dent in it where something had been dropped on it whilst "on the shelf its entire life"

The one I bought was identical, cost me £75, and was completely unmarked in every way :roll: :facepalm:

G

Well really, it's not rocket science is it? NOS is NOS. NOT ambiguous is it?

Those who stray from that are also likely to argue that other basic facts aren't what they are, when it suits them..

I'm pleased to hear, Uncle G, that you don't mind paying over the odds because someone gives it a bit of a wipe down and lists as NOS to bump the price up. It's suckers that fall for it without question who bump up the price of tidy used kit for the rest of us.

If it listed as NOS but clearly isn't, then yourselves and the rest ofus a favour be challenging it, and either walking away or else waiting for the description the be altered and the price rejigged to reflect the truth.

I'd does puzzle me that if you place an ad on here with out a price then everyone in your case, yet use the description 'NOS' to describe a tidy used item and no one gives a monkeys.

Back