Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:38 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: All change here...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
Dirt Disciple

xeo wrote:
Mixed feelings upon seeing this bike. The last time, and first time I ever saw one, it belonged to local guy who was a cracking talent roadie, and we were working together in a little bikeshop. Although he shaved his legs, I looked up to him.

He got his hands one of these bikes, and I had a go on it, loved the new XTR. ! that was the last/only time I saw it, as Adam passed away not long after.

We used to block the pathway outside the shop with deckchairs, drinking beer ! and I had to mind the shop alone whilst he shagged his girlfriend in the cellar !

21 years later, we moved into the exact same premises of said bikeshop, with mine & my wife's very own bikeshop, (still the same landlord!) and yes, just as I remembered his and his birds writing on the cellar wall was still there. I also kinda hoped the S-Works would be to !

Top bloke, lush bike that I could have only dreamed of. Ah, the 90's, happy days !

I had no idea that my post would rekindle such memories!

Here's to your mate, and his great taste in birds and bikes! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 am 
Retro Guru

funkster wrote:
xeo wrote:
Mixed feelings upon seeing this bike. The last time, and first time I ever saw one, it belonged to local guy who was a cracking talent roadie, and we were working together in a little bikeshop. Although he shaved his legs, I looked up to him.

He got his hands one of these bikes, and I had a go on it, loved the new XTR. ! that was the last/only time I saw it, as Adam passed away not long after.

We used to block the pathway outside the shop with deckchairs, drinking beer ! and I had to mind the shop alone whilst he shagged his girlfriend in the cellar !

21 years later, we moved into the exact same premises of said bikeshop, with mine & my wife's very own bikeshop, (still the same landlord!) and yes, just as I remembered his and his birds writing on the cellar wall was still there. I also kinda hoped the S-Works would be to !

Top bloke, lush bike that I could have only dreamed of. Ah, the 90's, happy days !

I had no idea that my post would rekindle such memories!

Here's to your mate, and his great taste in birds and bikes! :D

Hell yes.

Did I read that you are selling the frame ? ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:11 am 
Dirt Disciple

All being well... The Klein frame will arrive 'as described', I will be able to source any extra bits and pieces needed for the transplant, and the S-works frame will be for sale in a couple of weeks time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

In spite of my earlier advice I now think it would be a shame to break up this bike, after all it has been together for so long...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I agree, it is a shame to break up the bike - I guess I could instead sell it as it is and then source the required parts for a Klein build - the advantages of this would be the option to fit my own choice of kit, and the end product would not be suspiciously full of Specialized logos!
The downside is the time it could take to source all of the required bits and pieces - I am a relative newbie to this forum and have no idea how tricky/expensive some of this kit would be to source...
What would you do?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Keep the Spech together, it looks too good to split especially after all that time. XTR M900 stuff comes up all the time, not necessarily in fantastic condition but brakes gears cranks wheels STIs regularly come up, just search the sale section now.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I think you may be onto something...
I will wait to get my grubby paws on the frame, and see what comes up re. parts...
Here's to a new reason to scour the Internet for obscure vintage items!