External BB on retro frame...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...ok I'm sure I am going to get strung up for this but what are thoughts on putting an external BB on a retro bike...Its a 1997ish Mount Vision and the reason for doing so would be to run a M960 XTR chainset.

The baddest idea I have had or acceptable!!

Opinions please as I am going to build up tomorrow...

Doug

Yeah why not.....I'm gonna strip my Xizang down from period correctness to brand new M970/M985 lovelyness after I race it at Mayhem.

player":b0f64xyt said:
Yeah why not.....I'm gonna strip my Xizang down from period to brand new M970/M985 lovelyness after I race it at Mayhem.

It mainly comes from an dislike of the look of the M95* chainset...and others of the period but I do like the M960 chainset I have...

DO IT!!! :twisted:

I've done it a few times now, just because sometimes it's nice to ride a retro frame, but have the benefits of modern components as well. Often people don't recognise the retro frame, they see the modern kit hung off it and assume it must be a modern bike :facepalm: :LOL:

I've got an rts kitted out in full xtr m970 or is it m980, can't remember. Looks and works a treat. If it feels right, do it!

Well I'm going to give it a go and if I do't like it I can always swap it out for the M739 XT one I bought originally for this build...

Cant see why not - I ran m7 1st generation with whatever-was-the-most-uptodate-bling until about 2003 when it got chopped for the then Wolf Ridge with Hope upgrade...

I'm sure it will look nice, but I have more trouble with the modern components on my '09 Kula than I have with the 5 retrobikes put together and the BB was one of the problem components. They just don't seem to be as durable.

Carl.

Back