Avid V-brake (dis)assembly question

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Bought a set of Avid SD Ti V-brakes and unfortunately it has turned out that one is broken, with no spring action. The little notch on the circular part is broken (the left one in the photo), and there's just no tension on the spring. It seems like Avid do replacement kits for other models but can anyone tell me whether those are likely to fit and if so, how to disassemble the brake?!

Ta!

Attachments

• Avid brake damage.jpg
    Avid brake damage.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 347
That "tab" that's broken is only to adjust the amount of tension to balance the pull between the right and left arms. The grub screw is to adjust and push the tab over more or less to increase/decrease tension. I believe you should still have some tension and spring back even without that tab, as if the grub screw had been completely screwed out flush and not pushing on the tab.

Proper thanks for pointing this out mate - I assumed the lack of tension in the brake when sitting in on the fork was just a complete lack of any tension. But it seems that in fact the spring is just very weak, and having switched it to the rear and using the highest of the 3 spring tension holes (i.e. the one reserved for knackered brakes) it looks like I can get just enough tension to be usable: using just the working tension adjuster on the other brake then just about gets me to a reasonable setup, so the immediate problem is solved!

Still would be interested to know if (and how) these are replaceable though!

I think they are like the other brakes e.g.my 2.0's and shimano similar design.
Just a thin screwdriver and prise the front off. It all slots out for good service and cleanup.

Back