The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, simple one this, looked at catalogues but not easy to ascertain.

If I want an American rather than Taiwanese built Marin is there a date that before which all bikes were U.S. built or does it depend on model. Conversely, are some later bikes U.S. built and if so which ones? In any case I'm talking pre 97 to be in line with site definition of 'retro'. Are any of them U.s. built or were they produced somewhere else before Taiwan?

Thank you as always in anticipation of your sagacious offerings.

off to wikipedia to see what they say but thought this would be quicker :)

Not a Marin aficionado but I believe that Marin, like Specialized have always been far east built but designed in the US, so you'll never find a US built bike, unless of course the Ti bikes were built by firms like Sandvik, Litespeed or Merlin in the US.

Carl.

First of all i have no clue what might be the right answer to your question. So please ignore all my further speculations. :)

I guess if there is any real U.S. made Marin it has to be from the very beginning like 1986 or 87 but i don't think so.
The only way i can think of to own an american Marin is to search for a Titanium one. These were made by Litespeed as far as i remember.
All steel Marins i have seen in person were from the Marvel factory. I heard from Marins with an A instead of the Marvel M as the first letter of the frame number and these ones are believed to be from the A-pro factory. Both are in the far east.
So no cut off date but a narrow choice in the frame material might be the correct answer.
Again all of this could be wrong so maybe you want to wait for some of the real experts to verify some of my cloudy memories. :)

Good history article here: http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycle/bike_ ... b_8_06.pdf

Marin have always been a tiny company (20-30 people) setup by a businessman (rather than an ex-racer) and outsourcing design/manufacture from the start. The very early ones being designed by Joe Murray is about as close as they get to "heritage" :)

I did see a boast about being first to sell US-built Ti frames but again this was outsourced.

lrh":26jzbkzk said:
Good history article here: http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycle/bike_ ... b_8_06.pdf

Marin have always been a tiny company (20-30 people) setup by a businessman (rather than an ex-racer) and outsourcing design/manufacture from the start. The very early ones being designed by Joe Murray is about as close as they get to "heritage" :)

I did see a boast about being first to sell US-built Ti frames but again this was outsourced.

Yes this was what got me wondering. So by the sound of it I should just go early and with something in my size? Any tips as to desirability then? 19/20" minimum.

think it's always been "designed and race proven in Marin County", certainly what is says on 2x 1991 and a 1992 frame

daugs":jhxzr34d said:
think it's always been "designed and race proven in Marin County"

...and made in Taiwan.

Like the sticker that adorned my 88' Stumpjumper "Designed in USA - Made in Japan".

History man, just go with what you like. Earlier frames can be interesting, I wouldn't worry too much about "desirability", just find something that you like and like to ride :)

jimo746":o3xgbr32 said:
daugs":o3xgbr32 said:
think it's always been "designed and race proven in Marin County"

...and made in Taiwan.

Like the sticker that adorned my 88' Stumpjumper "Designed in USA - Made in Japan".

History man, just go with what you like. Earlier frames can be interesting, I wouldn't worry too much about "desirability", just find something that you like and like to ride :)

Thank you for that. I shall start my search. Just seen an orange and yellow large framed thing i quite like. Old, pre zolatone.....

The History Man":2wmakdpv said:
Yes this was what got me wondering. So by the sound of it I should just go early and with something in my size? Any tips as to desirability then? 19/20" minimum.
From what I've seen only the Team Marin, titanium and full-suspension models are desirable and go for big money £200+ The distinctive early-90s Zolatone/Neon bikes are always popular but there's plenty about and not especially valuable.

This is probably the earliest desirable Marin, the ~89 Team Marin, but try finding one... This is the only picture Google can come up with :eek:

4250726040_bce27526fc_z.jpg

From my understanding all Marin Team Issues in the early 90's were built in the US by Tom Teesdale. Not sure of production, something like 30 or so total.

Here is mine, 91 I believe. TET all the way with Tange Ultimate Prestige.

Of course the Team Ti were also built in the US, all others I think were made overseas.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 455
Back