Question regarding a Moots I'm about to buy

Iordanov

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I'm a Froggy living next to Paris, not rich and fan of old steel frame (Kona, Marin, Sunn, Specialized...).

Yesterday, I just saw and reserved something really really different, but nice: a Moots.

The guy (very friendly old French guy) is asking € 1 800 (£ 1 500) for it : full XTR, Eriksen seat post, Pace fork (no titanium stem...)...

I find this spad really elegant, it is my size, but I saw some Moots frame for less that £ 500 on RetroBike... And I'm honestly really not rich at all (will need to sell 4 or 5 bike to buy it).

To you think the price is honest? Would you buy it? Could you give your opinion on such a bike? What is the year of it?

Best regard, Nicolas
PS : 50 years old, I'm just having light XC with my bikes.

Attachments

• ScreenShot006.jpg
    ScreenShot006.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 510
  • ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 510
On the high side but it is a Moots. Hard to really see the build. The bars look Ti. Wheels?
I would not be comfortable spending more than £1000 on it from what I can see.

Frame looks to be a late 1990s / early 2000s YBB, stem is Thomson, drivetrain XTR M95X.

Price out a current YBB frame and an Eriksen post, I don't think this is such a bad deal.

A UK dealer is listing a new YBB frame for £3000. Their website says the Ti YBB has been available since 1991, but I don't know what changes have been made in that time. You could try emailing Moots if you have questions. I don't really know if it's a good buy or not, but with my little knowledge I think I would be happy paying that sort of money - assuming it was in great condition and wouldn't need money thrown at it to replace drivetrain components etc.

Looks the same year as mine I bought new in 1999/2000. Still love the bike and often finish a ride thinking "That is a damn good bike" (and yes I have a modern full sus). I have ridden the bike everywhere; North shore/Moab/Wales/LA/London. Will never ever sell it.
No one is an expert on prices as it's always what one is willing to pay. Wheels are an unknown so think its worth 1100-1300 English pounds. Again that's just a guess.

Lid

Wheels are Mavic Xmax / XTR / ceramic. I finally said yes for £ 1 450...
I find it really really nice and the guy says it's in pristin conditions.

Well, thanks' a lot to all of you once again.
Nicolas from Paris.

Back