Bike sizing...how much should be seatpost!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So heres the thing...I have 2 identical frames...one 17.5" C2C and one 19" C2C...I dont need both so need to keep/build one and not the other. But here is the thing. They both fit! On the 17.5" I probably have 8" of seat post showing on the 19" around 6"...

...Here's my question how much seatpost showing is "ideal" They both ride fine for my body and I have all the parts to build one of them but just need to decide which one!! The top tube length doesn't differ between the two and as far as headtube goes there is a difference but nothing that can't be adjusted with spacers etc.

...HELP! Itching to build one of them just need some help deciding which one!!!

Cheers

Doug

id go for the larger frame and less post, less flex in the post and stronger??

if had frames that only just fit with lots of post showing, look ok but ive bent posts before.....fat fecker now lol

longun":2wn79mx8 said:
id go for the larger frame and less post, less flex in the post and stronger??

if had frames that only just fit with lots of post showing, look ok but ive bent posts before.....fat fecker now lol

Hmmm fair point I am a "hefty" fellow at 16 stone!!

The History Man":1z2a4b5a said:
These aren't the stubborn bolt saga ones are they?

Ohh yes my friend! The swingarm on the 17.5" is fooked due to the cough "stubborn" (fooking seized beyond belief but to be expected for a £30 bike that has lived outside!!) bolt, but before I put the swingarm from the 19" on it I want to check that the 19" isn't they way forward anyway!

On this occasion, i would opt for the bigger frame and less exposed post, to keep 'feel' with what the rear shock is doing. any bandy post may dilute the feedback from the bike.

Although, i do like the look of a bike with generous post exposure, sort of, in the way some bikes just need bar ends or they look naked...you know what i mean ;) must be a retro thing?!

You can get away with more exposure as the diameter increases. Above 27.2mm is recommended(by me) 26.0-27.0 flex like crazy when riding high.

so, yes, large frame please. :cool:

Hmmm ok...the '97 is the 17.5" and the '99 the 19"...I really wanted this to class as a retro ride and all the bits I have bought to go on it (M950 XTR) would be in keeping!! There is a 19" '97 on ebay at the mo maybe I should just go for that and have 3 Mount Visions!!!!

wookiee":3t04qy9n said:
Hmmm ok...the '97 is the 17.5" and the '99 the 19"...I really wanted this to class as a retro ride and all the bits I have bought to go on it (M950 XTR) would be in keeping!! There is a 19" '97 on ebay at the mo maybe I should just go for that and have 3 Mount Visions!!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back