Insufficient handlebar space

deejayen

Dirt Disciple
I’ve gathered together some bits to let me change my handlebars to something a little comfier. I bought North Road style handlebars, so the ends are angled at 45 degrees for a comfier wrist position. However, having fitted SLX 7 speed shifters, Avid V-brake levers and some On-One lock-on grips it looks like that combo is too long for the handlebars. With everything pushed on as far as they can go the grips overhang by an inch or two. I’ll probably take it to the bike shop to see what they reckon, but I’m not sure they’ll be able to help. What are the options if I want to use these bars? The bike has Shimano 7x3 derailleurs. Ideally I’d be able to make it work without buying anything else. However, if that’s not possible would some sort of Shimano-compatible Gripshift work, or are there other solutions?

the only option I can think of that might work (without seeing pics) would be to see if you can get hold of some brake levers with integrated shifters - that might only gain you an inch or less though...

I'm a big fan of the Marys to (I use them upside down).

Plenty of space on them, though fairly wide for going through traffic:

Karakoram+Elite+7.JPG

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd prefer to try and use the handlebars I have, if possible. I did consider the Mary and Fleegle bars when I bought them.

I hadn't realised everything would take up so much room! I currently have flat bars with integrated SLX shifters and levers so I should measure those to see if they would fit. However, I bought all the other stuff so that I could replace these and also change to V-brakes. I don't mind downtube shifters, but they might not be so useful off-road. I might have to look for twist shifters, or even some thumbies if they're more compact.

You'll be lucky, the design concept of the Nth Road bar is for plastic grips, a couple of steel levers, a SA three-speed gear change - and a bell... ;)

Back