Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:04 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 am 
PoTM & rBoTY Winner
PoTM & rBoTY Winner

Great bikes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:44 pm 

New to the forum. From the San Francisco bay area. Started riding back in the days of the 80's where it all started on Mt. Tam. I picked up an older Salsa Ala Carte last weekend for the grand sum of $25.00. After bringing it home and cleaning some of the grime off, I discovered it was an older model - #82. It came with the original parts including the portage strap. After cleaning I will build it back up and post a pic!
Attachment:
IMG_0561 (800x598).jpg
IMG_0561 (800x598).jpg [ 333.93 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]

Last edited by Frisco Rider on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:45 pm 
Retro Guru

Looking forward to those pics 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:45 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Frisco Rider wrote:
New to the forum. From the San Francisco bay area. Started riding back in the days of the 80's where it all started on Mt. Tam. I picked up an older Salsa Ala Carte last weekend for the grand sum of $25.00. After bringing it home and cleaning some of the grime off, I discovered it was an older model - #82. It came with the original parts including the portage strap. After cleaning I will build it back up and post a pic!
Attachment:
IMG_0561 (800x598).jpg

Liking that a lot - keep the build thread up to date! $25 is an absolute bargain!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 am 
Retro Guru

Lucky,lucky,lucky :D

Absolute bargain Frisco rider.

Oh what it must feel like to live in the land of abundant high end mountain bikes :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:41 am 
Old School Grand Master

Frisco Rider wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_0561 (800x598).jpg

A Scoboni?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

suburbanreuben wrote:
Frisco Rider wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_0561 (800x598).jpg

A Scoboni?

Looks like it, plus a roller stem. Lucky, lucky fella!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 pm 

Yup, the SF Bay Area is a candy store when it comes to early mountain bikes, I have been fortunate to have grown up in this area, have been biking Mt Tam since the early eighty's. I lived in the Haight and bicycle shop row was on/still Stanyan Street. The Salsa Ala Carte was the second bike in the last month that I have acquired for $25.00. A lot of my friends still have their 80's bikes in their garages collecting dust and rusting away. Who was to know that they would gain so much in collectability and value!!! There was a time that we were just literally throwing things away in the trash. Check out this Klein that my neighbor was going to give to me, but I gave her $25.00 so I didn't feel guilty. The serial number is #32, sold (gave) it to my friend for $40.00!! I still have some of the original Cook bros, Grafton, WTB, Synchros stuff that I bought over the counter when they were new when I was kid....

Attachments:
IMG_0485 (800x598).jpg
IMG_0485 (800x598).jpg [ 316.89 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:53 pm 

And, yes the Salsa does have the Scoboni Signature on the top tube and it came with the original Staghead Derailleurs, shifters, and hite rite......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:59 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Frisco Rider wrote:
Yup, the SF Bay Area is a candy store when it comes to early mountain bikes, I have been fortunate to have grown up in this area, have been biking Mt Tam since the early eighty's. I lived in the Haight and bicycle shop row was on/still Stanyan Street. The Salsa Ala Carte was the second bike in the last month that I have acquired for $25.00. A lot of my friends still have their 80's bikes in their garages collecting dust and rusting away. Who was to know that they would gain so much in collectability and value!!! There was a time that we were just literally throwing things away in the trash. Check out this Klein that my neighbor was going to give to me, but I gave her $25.00 so I didn't feel guilty. The serial number is #32, sold (gave) it to my friend for $40.00!! I still have some of the original Cook bros, Grafton, WTB, Synchros stuff that I bought over the counter when they were new when I was kid....

Awesome

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next