Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Univega Alpina 502
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I bought a second hand Univega Alpina 502. It is in a pretty good shape with full Shimano STX. It is quite light for an old CR-MO bike - around 11kg (24,5 lb).
I am gooing through some repairs this year - changed some cones, lubed bearings,...however, I never owned a bike this light, and since is quite old, I was wandering what should I check out - regarding cracks. I checked for cracks on fork, where I couldn't find any and I bought and changed a new alu handlebar just in case.
Any recommendation regarding old cr-mo bikes regarding frame cracks? The tubes seem quite thin and also tubewalls are thin.
Just a shortcut to discussion would be fine.

Post subject: Re: Univega Alpina 502
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

don't worry about it, it's steel. I've got lighter bikes from back then. I use them regularly, never worried about a crack. Old aluminium isn't quite as robust, and needs checking

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

OK, I was just wandering. Anyone knows anything about its frame? It is written Racelite, 4130-DB, chromoly, double butted, frame tubes and chain stays. Made in Taiwan. Fork is Racelite, 4130-DB. I guess it was an entry level bike back then...can not find a lot about this bike on the net. I guess it was not quite popular...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:03 am 
Old School Grand Master

A classy frame, Univegas are definitely under-appreciated in the UK. I bought a later Alpina frame and forks for peanuts - it rides beautifully.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:54 am 
National & North West AEC
National & North West AEC

I agree that Univegas are under-rated and hence overlooked. I have a 1993 Univega Alpina Comp which has 4130 tubing. It's not the lightest of steel frames out there but it's not bad at all. I love how it rides too.

In terms of durability, I don't think you need to worry too much about cracking. As with any old steel frame, it'll be rust that you'll need to look out for.

Here's a link to mine:--> viewtopic.php?t=155300

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I was surprised with the price of this second hand bike. It looks something like this:
I am very happy with it. Especialy I like the climbs. I put an extra comfort saddle which is a bit heavy, but I think the weight is in the right place :-) Have to replace brake pads on it. I saw Ritcheys red and also blue for canti brakes in the store the other day. I think, I will go with the red ones, since they have better reviews...

Attachments:
DSC01575_1.JPG
DSC01575_1.JPG [ 184.77 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]