Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:20 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
Raging_Bulls wrote:
Did you disconnect the other end of the shock? Just making sure it's not tension that's holding the bolt in.



Yeah the frame end came out no worries...and the other Mount Vision I have came apart easily...just this one that is stuck!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:51 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
jimo746 wrote:
I take it you've tried drifting it out? And yes I do mean in a Fast n' Furious style, but not THAT style... :lol:

Image



Drifting??? Fast and furious???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
Right I have got the rear swing arm off the frame and the bolt does move about 4-5mm each way by tightening each side with the nut...It seems that its not the shock body that is stuck nor the bolt in the swingarm...but the bushes either side of the shock seem stuck to the axle. I've tried more penetrating oil and smacking it but it still wont budge. I've decided to leave it over night to soak and have another go tomorrow. Would heat work on the area? As its an alu frame and presumably alloy bushes would they expand around the steel bolt?? There is no paint as it is a raw alloy finish so would it discolour it?...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
Well the good news is that I don't have to worry about the scrape on the swingarm or the stuck bolt as the arsing thing now has cracks in it!!! Could be due to me smacking the bolt too hard who knows but its now junk! I do have the other swingarm from the '99 Mount Vision but its in yellow and not the nice shiny natural finish of the last one... :facepalm:

If I get it stripped of paint would it be nice and shiney underneath? What would be the best way of getting rid of the paint to ensure a shiny finish?? Blasting? Paint stripper? Or should I just be on the look out for another swingarm in the same natural finish?

Thoughts...?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5668
Location: Dorset
wookiee wrote:
Well the good news is that I don't have to worry about the scrape on the swingarm or the stuck bolt as the arsing thing now has cracks in it!!! Could be due to me smacking the bolt too hard who knows but its now junk! I do have the other swingarm from the '99 Mount Vision but its in yellow and not the nice shiny natural finish of the last one... :facepalm:

If I get it stripped of paint would it be nice and shiney underneath? What would be the best way of getting rid of the paint to ensure a shiny finish?? Blasting? Paint stripper? Or should I just be on the look out for another swingarm in the same natural finish?

Thoughts...?


Blasting will leave a matte finish, the same as on my Orange.
Whatever way you remove the paint, you'll end up having to polish what's underneath


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
makster wrote:
wookiee wrote:
Well the good news is that I don't have to worry about the scrape on the swingarm or the stuck bolt as the arsing thing now has cracks in it!!! Could be due to me smacking the bolt too hard who knows but its now junk! I do have the other swingarm from the '99 Mount Vision but its in yellow and not the nice shiny natural finish of the last one... :facepalm:

If I get it stripped of paint would it be nice and shiney underneath? What would be the best way of getting rid of the paint to ensure a shiny finish?? Blasting? Paint stripper? Or should I just be on the look out for another swingarm in the same natural finish?

Thoughts...?


Blasting will leave a matte finish, the same as on my Orange.
Whatever way you remove the paint, you'll end up having to polish what's underneath



Ahh ok darn...maybe I'll get it powder coated chrome or another colour just don't really like the yellow...although the forks from the '99 Mount Vision would match...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:20 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
wookiee wrote:
makster wrote:
wookiee wrote:
Well the good news is that I don't have to worry about the scrape on the swingarm or the stuck bolt as the arsing thing now has cracks in it!!! Could be due to me smacking the bolt too hard who knows but its now junk! I do have the other swingarm from the '99 Mount Vision but its in yellow and not the nice shiny natural finish of the last one... :facepalm:

If I get it stripped of paint would it be nice and shiney underneath? What would be the best way of getting rid of the paint to ensure a shiny finish?? Blasting? Paint stripper? Or should I just be on the look out for another swingarm in the same natural finish?

Thoughts...?


Blasting will leave a matte finish, the same as on my Orange.
Whatever way you remove the paint, you'll end up having to polish what's underneath



Ahh ok darn...maybe I'll get it powder coated chrome or another colour just don't really like the yellow...although the forks from the '99 Mount Vision would match...



I'm guessing paint stripper would be the least abrasive to the metal??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:43 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 2473
Location: A Fifer furth o' the Kingdom
I removed a very stuck shock mounting bolt on the swing arm of a Marin.
Like your's the alloy spacers either side of shock eye were corroded to feck and stuck.
Liberal spraying with WD40 plus leaving to let it soak in overnight with more applied before I then tried to remove it.
I took off both nuts then put several washers onto end of mounting pin on one side leaving a nuts depth of threads.
Put the nut back on and started to tighten it to pull it one way, when it moved sprayed more WD40 so newly exposed part of pin was wet. Transferred the washers and nut to other side then kept repeating this until I could pull it all the way to one side and out. Took time and effort to get it to move more than a few mm at a time.
Just make sure you haven't mashed the end of the threads on one or both ends of pin because then you're never going to get it through the spacers or shock eye.
Extreme violence then required to remove it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Looking at the original damage I'd say that it looks likely to have been due to someone removed a lock in with an angle-grinder?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:38 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
old_coyote_pedaller wrote:
I removed a very stuck shock mounting bolt on the swing arm of a Marin.
Like your's the alloy spacers either side of shock eye were corroded to feck and stuck.
Liberal spraying with WD40 plus leaving to let it soak in overnight with more applied before I then tried to remove it.
I took off both nuts then put several washers onto end of mounting pin on one side leaving a nuts depth of threads.
Put the nut back on and started to tighten it to pull it one way, when it moved sprayed more WD40 so newly exposed part of pin was wet. Transferred the washers and nut to other side then kept repeating this until I could pull it all the way to one side and out. Took time and effort to get it to move more than a few mm at a time.
Just make sure you haven't mashed the end of the threads on one or both ends of pin because then you're never going to get it through the spacers or shock eye.
Extreme violence then required to remove it.



Yeah I got it moving but the extreme violence was too much for the old alloy and its now cracked!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrybomb, Factory Jackson, jmacbrid86, Stick Legs, themountie and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group