Best all rigid for a weird fit?

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
Yo! Not posted for several years because -

- Storage space problems meant my beloved Lava Dome had to be lodged with a friend, so my modern crosser was my go to bike

- I developed a *weird* health problem and had a couple of black outs during heavy exercise (not great for cycling)

Anyway, the Lava Dome and my friend have bonded, so I don't have the heart to take it back. Especially as I adapted the bike for his health problems :he has RSI and needs super low pressure on his hands - so I set the Lava Dome up as a sort of 26" BMX bike. It's a yellow hand-painted - in Imron - early (has TBG on it) and now looks like Chris Foss designed a paper bike for Boba Fett, especially when my friend runs huge Big Apple slicks on it. (Must get a decent picture to post, but the thing is a bugger to photograph so it looks right.)

Now I'm getting back on a bike and I want something with more climibing power and a flatter cockpit than the crosser. But I have a weird sort of body from the cycling pov and wondered if anyone can suggest a bike that would be an especially good fit:

- I'm 5'10

- 220lbs with not much fat - I take a 46" jacket and might have to go 48" soon

- My inside leg is only 30"

..So basically a troll, yes.

I was on a 17" Lava Dome, but I wondered if anyone can suggest another bike that would be a good trollish fit so I have more options? I'm looking for an all-rigid, because I want something that is fun to ride on the light backroads and trails I can reach without a car, and there's nothing that deserves a suspension fork. I'd like a relaxed sort of fit, and I'm willing to put on uncool stems as necessary.

If you are looking for a long frame then I would go with a Marin - their mid-90s designs were always long in the top tube. They also seem to go for peanuts which helps.

They ride a bit more ponderously than a Kona, but are brilliant for long rides (Polaris Challenges for example BITD always seemed to be overpopulated with Marins).

I have a Yokota Grizzly Peak that might fit the bill ;)

Attachments

• Yokota 2.jpg
    Yokota 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 565
  • Yokota 1 (2).jpg
    Yokota 1 (2).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 565
Go to a bike shop, try a variety of types of bike in varying sizes to see what feels most comfortable. Keep a note of the dimensions and geometry you liked best. List those features here and maybe someone can enlighten you on what retro steed may fit the bill.
As for you, your not a Troll, just one of the many variations of human that the built on averages off the peg bike frame will never fit like a glove. You just need the best compromise fit between you and the bike.

Hamster: A Marin's a definite possibility to add to the Konas, but I think I like the Kona geometry a bit more (I had a Marin way back when)

Kermit: thanks, but I'm looking for a complete bike.

Velo: the "going to a bike store" method doesn't work for me for all-rigids - the suspension fork adjusted geometry really throws me off. I suppose my question could be re-phraased as "If a 17 Kona is a good fit, what else do you guys suggest?" And obviously with my body mass I'm looking for toughness - I think the Explosif is out because the frame was made lighter for racing?

PurpleFrog":e59st5x5 said:
Hamster: A Marin's a definite possibility to add to the Konas, but I think I like the Kona geometry a bit more (I had a Marin way back when)

Kermit: thanks, but I'm looking for a complete bike.

Velo: the "going to a bike store" method doesn't work for me for all-rigids - the suspension fork adjusted geometry really throws me off. I suppose my question could be re-phraased as "If a 17 Kona is a good fit, what else do you guys suggest?" And obviously with my body mass I'm looking for toughness - I think the Explosif is out because the frame was made lighter for racing?

A complete bike can be arranged ;)

kermitgreenkona88":2efmhhx0 said:
A complete bike can be arranged ;)

It's nice of you to offer... But I'd only switch from Kona if I heard of something that was a definite upgrade - I was wondering about models of Orange and GT bikes, maybe Fisher and Specialized.

I'd go modern if could find what I want at a sane price - an all rigid 29er, preferably with v's (actually cantis would be even better) and "user grade" (ie cheap) Shimano. The Vee-1 29er would be ideal if they offered a geared version, like they do the 26er. Stupid bike companies! So another option I'm thinking about is getting a used Alfine a Nexus hub.

I also am a sworn Kona fan, but have a look at the cro-mega in my sig. below...

...plenty of climbing power there, and as you can see by the 160mm stem easily tailored to any fit (if you are a Troll then I am an Orc! :LOL: )

The best thing would be to see if there is an owner nearby who would let you have a go on theirs?

We_are_Stevo":39qtfy74 said:
(if you are a Troll then I am an Orc! :LOL: )

What does this mean??? Do we have a Tolkein fan in the audience to translate????

..Cool bike: I'd forgotten that period when raised chainstays were The Future. (Just after U-brakes stopped being cool?)

GT's are quite forgiving. The top tube v's seat tube measurements aren't quite(nothing like) how kona, for example, lay things out. As long as the frame size is close to what is 'ideal' for you, other adjustments can be done with a cheap stem or longer seatpost.

one of mine, and i'm a big 'un. ;)

Latest posts

Back