Retrobike Touring.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I'm starting to plan myself a little two or three day Retrobike MTB touring ride and would like a little help, advice and guidance.

My plan is to ride from Doncaster to somewhere in the Peak district, pitch a tent, sleep over and return the next day.

Well, that's about as far as my plan has developed so far.

Does anyone have any experience of doing two day rides.

Questions so far are:

1. What to take.
2. What type of tent to use. Something like this maybe: http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Coleman-Be ... tAodzmkAnA
3. Etc.

Thanks

Trebz

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

I agree with Rob, but if you are wanting to do it regularly the tent gives you more freedom. Very light tents are available for buttons these days. I used to do lots of one nighters, and being in the remote highlands it allowed me much more leeway. It is great when you are caught out in severe weather. Nothing like a bit of night fishing with a few cans and a full moon on a Highland loch. Between two carrying a two man tent is no great hardship, the one I used to use most of the time is more like 4.5 kilos.

I tend to agree with Rob if it's just for the night ...then again I always use a bivvy-bag, which are even lighter than the lightest tents and reassuring to have if things go A over T, even if you're B+Bing

You could always try youth hostels if they take old git's like me they will take anyone and they tend to have drying rooms.
But if its camping you want to try look on the ALPKIT website alpkit.co.uk They have some good guides and also some good well priced gear Airio blow up pad, pipe dream down bags, bivi bag, Tarps, and a not quite right tent for £60.00.

Other tents ok for this time of year Gelert Mongoose 2 man or solo (pick thos up on the web for £30.00 - £40.00.

Search penny stove for diy meths stove

mountain equipment shops have small billy set for £6.00 at present

look at back packing light site as well

Hope that helps

Cheers

Phil D

approaching it a slightly different way, what bags and space you have determines what you can take

Did couple of weeks camping around lakes in N Italy with just 2 mid-sized rear panniers and a bar bag on my 1992 Marin Eldridge many years ago. Once decided that was it, then packing list became easier, v small one man tent (still good 18 years later but was it really that small), didn't really miss anything, took too many clothes.......

Trangia stove for sure. Bothy bag is quick to deploy in emergencies and excellent for a grub stop in foul weather. First aid kit. The usual bike spares and tools.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I and others will need.

Let's have some more for those wanting to take a solo or group MTB tour on this summer.

Thanks for everything so far guys !

I have always fancied just taking off on my own with a very basic route plan. Taking enough to keep me going for a few days with a life saver back out plan.

As I mentioned above the basic plan so far is to ride into the Peak district and find a well equipped camp site, I'm not wanting to jump off cliffs and eat roadkill or anything.

:)

Back