Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:07 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm an unashamed fan of modern bikes, but only good ones. Offer me a quality retro bike like a sorted Zaskar or a low rent modern, and its retro every time.

You know what to do.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I know this is a bad questions to ask, but based off the image above, anyone want to throw a guess what it is worth?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Retro Guru

I'd say the zaskar is worth about 250.00 maybe more.

Keep the zaskar and have people stop and stare , 29r bikes are two a penny now , I've just put a picture of my new to me frosted red zaskar on a group on Facebook and everyone loves it , zaskars are one of the best bikes ever built :)

That's not just my opinion :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:23 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

If you are used to BMX a 29er will feel immense. The Zaskar will feel more chuckable and therefore more familiar.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:25 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I saw that pic I think... Great looking bike. I agree there is just something there... I have buddies with Specialized bikes and Giants, they are great, but lack personality.

There is one on eBay now for sale in red for $750!! I think that is a bit high...

This guy wants $350 for this one, might get him down to $300... Will need about $100 in work to get her up to speed, then likely I will dump $1000 into it with custom stuff, if I know myself as well as I do, LOL.

This is gonna be bad....

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 am 
Retro Guru

VJR021 wrote:
I saw that pic I think... Great looking bike. I agree there is just something there... I have buddies with Specialized bikes and Giants, they are great, but lack personality.

There is one on eBay now for sale in red for $750!! I think that is a bit high...

This guy wants $350 for this one, might get him down to $300... Will need about $100 in work to get her up to speed, then likely I will dump $1000 into it with custom stuff, if I know myself as well as I do, LOL.

This is gonna be bad....

With a retro Zaskar you can drop as much as you'd like onto it. It'll always wear top end stuff well. Where as the Giant will always look like a low end bike thats been blinged up :)

Welcome to the Hotel California of bike forums....

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:50 am 
Retro Guru

opinion/// this thread is all wrong, its not zaskar vs giant.
Its; look at the lovely Zaskar I'm going to buy, and here is a picture of some crappy giant.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:04 am 
Retro Guru

Of course, in 20 years the Giant will be a card carrying Retrobike itself, and everyone will have forgotten that the frame is heavy an uninspiring, the cheap wheels too flexible, an in the rose tinge mists of time people will have forgotten that it really wasn't that nice.

Which is a disease that afflicts many current Retrobikes and their owners, so don't be too hard on the Giant

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Just a word of caution - make sure it's definitely a zaskar. Rebadges of lower models are pretty common.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

secret_squirrel wrote:
Just a word of caution - make sure it's definitely a zaskar. Rebadges of lower models are pretty common.

What is the best way to confirm that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next