GT Zaskar LE vs Giant Talon 29er 1 - Opinion

VJR021

Dirt Disciple
I have a chance to buy one of two bikes:

1. 1994(ish) GT Zaskar LE - some mods, nothing seriously expensive. Frame is in great condition, some repairs with gear selector needed, not happy with slick tires, but they are in good condition.

2. Giant Talon 29er 1 - New bike, what can I say.

I love the look of the Zaskar. Also like the idea of a vintage bike, modding it.

The flip side is I can get a brand new bike for what the GT will cost me + repairs.

anyone have an opinion on these bikes?

I will not be riding heavy at all, just recreational.

Is the support still around for the old GT's?

The old Zaskars are bombproof. If there was a nuclear war all the cockroaches would be riding Zaskars with Bombers on. Cheap, Light, strong - Pick all three.

My common sense says to get the Giant, new, warranty, better brakes, etc... I am getting it for a steal from a buddy that runs a bike shop.

But the more I search on this forum, the more I am drawn to the GT... I think I have been bit by the bug again. I used to own a number of retro BMX bikes, but never a MB.

damn it!!! WHAT TO DO??

3K13Nc3H35Na5E45Ffd5cad511bb6ded417f5.jpg

vs:

Talon_29er_1_v1.jpg

this a forum about old bikes, opinions may be somewhat biased...

I'd have the GT. Easy to fit any component you feel like fitting, mine was running hydraulic discs back in 1996.

Your pictured Giant looks a little low in the range so those forks will be hefty with a lot of steel throughout the bike where you'd normally find aluminium.

Good old bikes will become less common overtime, there will always be new bikes and good ones will never be cheap. Go GT :D

The Talon 29'we is crap, and I say that as a Giant fan. A cheap 29er is one of the most unpleasant things his side of a Raleigh Twenty with the hinge bolt missing.

Pyro Tim":359gjmkr said:
you joined retrobike to ask the question. I think you've already decided ;)

Welcome to the Zaskar owners club;)

Damn you guys.... I hate it when I have to face the truth...

Glutton for punishment...

I suppose I will see you guys when I post pics of the new ride!!!

Zaskar for the win. Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Back