Help me to identify this "Merlin" please

goodogbuck

Devout Dirtbag
Just got this frame by chance, although it has "Merlin" sticker, it doesn't look like a real Merlin.
For example, has no rear canti hanger but still uses 1" headtube size, not Merlin logo on rear mech hanger, and its serial number "1403" doesn't appear in some Merlin introduction on internet.....
However, its welding is not bad, so I am wondering who made this, here is some size details:
CoC 17 inch
CoT 19 inch
ToT 22 inch
Seatpost size 27.2mm , Seatube diameter 31.4mm, Downtube diameter 38.2mm and it uses press-fit BB

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 656
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 653
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 655
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 653
This is an early Merlin frame with the pressed in bottom bracket. I have a road model form the same time with a similar serial number stamped on the inside of the right rear drop. Cable hanger was likely a clamp on similar to those on Konas. Plus one inch head tube is constant with eighties MTB builds.

Steven

lewisfoto":3j72tnce said:
This is an early Merlin frame with the pressed in bottom bracket. I have a road model form the same time with a similar serial number stamped on the inside of the right rear drop. Cable hanger was likely a clamp on similar to those on Konas. Plus one inch head tube is constant with eighties MTB builds.

Steven

Thanks, Steven.
Sounds like this frame is a real Merlin, the serial number is the strangest part to me, because many Merlin introduction on internet (like MOMBAT) "missing" the serial number form 140 to 3517.

This is a fantastic 89' Merlin frame. Congrat for this find. ;)
Just the stickers are not original (without sband and rob vandermark on chainstay is quite abnormal).

Had another thought about this. Merlin used to offer "updates" to their older frames. So perhaps this was a U-brake model that was sent back to the factory to have V-brake bosses added instead. This would also explain the lack of a cable hangar, 1 inch headset, pressed-in BB and the newer decals.

lewisfoto":1kqlrczm said:
Had another thought about this. Merlin used to offer "updates" to their older frames. So perhaps this was a U-brake model that was sent back to the factory to have V-brake bosses added instead. This would also explain the lack of a cable hangar, 1 inch headset, pressed-in BB and the newer decals.

True...I thought it would have had a welded canti hanger rather than a bolt-on jobbie...I have had a similar frame but can not remember the configuration

Assuming the frame numbers are sequential yours would be later than Jan 1990 (and obviously before the 91 models with the S-bend chainstay).

I also think its pre 1990. Frames without grease guard bottom bracket were build until middle of 1990 and the 90ish frames have frame numbers from 2*** up to 25**

Yours should be an 1989 custom made frame ...

Back