Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:26 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:57 am 
Retro Guru

with the bikes now on the road, but adjustments and emergency repairs possible, wondering best way to carry the odd tool and tube. This is not about contents of kit, just few bits but rather how to carry.

Have the old trusted bag behind seat post but in modern traffic I would rather have extra lights to ensure get seen. On longer rides then could go in panniers / bar bag etc and probably have more bits, but when minimal stuff needed what are alternatives. . Have seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221222481895? ... 97.c0.m619 but seems a bit over complicated ? replacement bottle type seem all very large. So what are people doing, have I missed a new solution ?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

I know it's against the rules. but on road rides I carry a tube, CO2 carts, a lever, and small multi-tool wrapped in a rag in a water bottle (one of the newer style wide topped ones).

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Front bottle contains drink, with a small pump attached. Rear bottle contains new spare tube, two tyre levers, a few allen keys and some money. That's all i carry on short rides. I could probably squeeze a chain tool in there too but don't bother.
Result: No rattles, no flapping bags, looks neat, easy to wash. The 'tool bottle' isn't repacked everytime, it's always on standby to just grab and go.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Camelback Lobo
Minipump in the sidepocket, 3 tubes (one is none, two is one.. etc) tyre levers, cool tool, spare chain link's( and shimano joining pins for the modern too)and a few pounds change. Chain links change and pins go in bank change bags to stop rattles/jingling.

I always ride with my Camelback so I've always got everything on me including the water

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Jersey pocket? Pro do a little screw-top carrier that fits into a bottle cage, a lot of decent pumps and CO2 cannisters come with a frame mount too. I have a small zipped camera case that has a tyre lever (you shouldn't need more than one), mini tool, park stick on patches, some zip ties and a pair of Lezyne Femto lights in, then the pump and a tube relevant to the bike.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Retro Guru

thanks guys, I was thinking more on bike as personally not big fan of things in pockets / on back

but this pro one looks the trick, the similar ones I found earlier were all larger but this looks ideal, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360610033002? ... 1423.l2649

cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Smallest Lezyne saddle bag. Contains one tube, ventile converter and a cheap but good multi tool I got from the Decathlon that has pretty much everything including chain tool and tyre levers. More doesn't fit and more I don't need on short rides except for a small Lezyne pump mounted on my bottle cage. So far the seatpost logo is still on, as long as you tie it tightly.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Saddle/seatpost bags with light mounts are available.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:18 pm 
Retro Guru

this is my current one, bit bigger than the lezyne, fits on the retro side as bought ages ago, but not the lights :D

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

How about a velcro patch for the lights?