seeking advice from wheels expert...sorted

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hope someone can help with this :D
im building a 91 raleigh technium and have purchased a set of 96 wheels that came off a kona, now the problem is the qr axle seems to long for the rear drop out. reading a little on google it seems early mtb ran a 135mm rear axle and later mtb ran 142mm, so my question is.... can the rear axel be swapped out from another wheel with a 135mm axel so i can fit the wheels and if so would this cause any issues with gear alignment ? if all else fails would it be recomended to take 7 mm off the original axel and if so would it be 3.5 either side or some guess work to leave the wheel running center in the frame ?
any advice or solutions would be gateful
mark

now sorted :D

Re: seeking advice from wheels expert

142 is a very young standard. Take the Kona's wheels and measure the distance between the nuts that normally touch the inside of the dropouts. That should be 135mm (give or take 2mm)

Does the axle stick out once the wheel is in, or doesn't the wheel fit in the dropouts at all? In the first case, you may need to shorten the axle a bit indeed. However it's unlikely.
In the second case, measure the distance between the dropouts. If it's 130mm, the Raleigh frame was designed for an older 130mm rear wheel. If it's even less, it's been bent inward and may need to be re-aligned.

thanks for the reply raging_bulls
having tried the rear wheel off my wifes 88 stumpjumper and finding it a nice smooth fit i re,tried the kona wheel at a sensible working hight to find it was maybe 1 to 1.5mm to long on the axle and with a bit of pressure on the parting the drop outs by hand its nicely slotted home so all is good now, maybe at some time in its life the rear end had a bit of pressure on it closing the gap on the drop outs and just needed a bit of persuation back into place. :D

Back