Kijiji Find ... 1992 Specialized S Works M2

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I picked this up a couple of days ago off Kijiji. $50

From the serial # on it its a 1992 S Works M2.

Obvisously not the original fork on the thing. RST Mozo I think, which wasn't horrible as I recall, though pretty heavy.

Has later model LX front brakes. Suntour Thumbies, diacompe levels, xt rear/dx front derailleurs, dx hubs, scott bar, syncros stem, smoke front and rears, and dx crank.

Has knicks on it, one owner, and everything works ... now what to do with it??

Attachments

• 1992 M2.jpg
    1992 M2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 878
jimo746":nkh941qz said:
now what to do with it??

Karma it to me :) ;)

Haha ... I had my 1992 Stumpy stolen when I was a kid so I sorta figured this was Karma coming back my way :)

I don't need a commuter bike, which these frames are great for. I use a 1995 Stumpjumper FS for that.

Guess I either restore it, do a single speed setup (V brake or disc conversion), or perhaps mod if up with some 700c's on it for a challenge.

I don't think its 29er friendly

Anyone know if the head tube is 1" or 1 1/8" ?? Gonna start pulling it apart, but wouldn't mind getting some fork ideas.

Very jeleous good luck with the build - rigid or bouncy forks?

Maybe some of the specialized badged Rock shox? Forget what they were called.

I will go rigid I think. Too tricky to run the old suspension forks on a bike you plan on using frequently. Parts are tough to get.

Likely a Project 2 kona fork. I have trigon carbon on a ti resto mod that I like, but it seems overkill on a $50 bike.

Does some one know what size of fork this thing has? i have a line on a fork I want, but the bikes at home and I'm not. I have no way of measuring it til I get back.

Should be a one inch steerer, direct drive fork :)

Great frames by the way, I owned a very early, 91 stamped version of these that I bought from Ebay (listed as a Rockhopper..). I ended up moving it on as my plan would to have been making a team replica, but I owned zero suntour parts and could sense it would cost a lot of $$$ to complete...

Defiantly 1" head tube on these. If you want 1-1/8" you'll need later frame. If you want to sell it ever let me know, after one of those for my collection, you'll make profit too ;)

Have a 1" threadless manitou on the way for it. I'll be keeping it. Changing a few things on it. It's has a new classic cc headset in it now. New bottom bracket. Some slightly later model lx brakes and I went full 735 xt for the drivetrain. The hubs are fine on it, but since its going to be ridden regularly I put my wheel set off my 1994 stumpy fs on it. Won't be a full restore, but it'll look nice and be reliable.

I will probably take it to the trails for a kick and than its bound for the cottage and retirement on the light trails around there.

Back