Old forks on not so old frames.

Elmo

Old School Hero
Hi,has anyone had any experience using old Project 2 forks (1991/2/3) on later (1998/9) frames.
Will a fork from the pre-suspension age on a frame designed for 80mm suspension forks make the steering a bit "twitchy"?
Did Kona make suspension corrected Project 2`s with 1 1/8th threaded steerers ?

I reckon the old forks on a corrected frame would require a bit too much commitment for relaxed riding.
Just looked on Wiggle and they've got Project 2's which I believe are suspension corrected for £40.

The earlier P2 were shorter than modern ones. In the mid 90’s the forks got longer to sub for suspension forks (Average 80mm fork at 25% sag). At the end of 05 they got longer again (100mm at 25%).

I believe the 1988-1991 models were 395mm, growing to 405mm with a 41mm rake from 1992-1997 and now I think it is 440mm with a 45mm rake.

Thanks Tranquility Base,I cheked out Wiggle but they only stock A-Headset fitting threadless forks and I was hoping to stay threaded.

Take em to Chas Roberts in Croydon (thats near east sussex isn't it?) he'll do it for you, or that roadie place geoff butler..

adamgent":2gmdwe7b said:
Certai bike shops can thread a threadless steerer. Might be worth asking around?

Any decent shop should have taps for threading steerers. Whether you'd want to use them for more than their intended purposes of cleaning existing threads and maybe adding a few more is another question. A lot of threadless steerers aren't intended for having threads cut in them and can also be butted.

Back