tidying up black painted parts

grogee

Retro Guru
Thinking about spraying some black painted parts eg brake levers (alloy), handlebars & seatpost (steel).

I was just going to buy some generic (car) gloss black spray paint, but I'm sure someone on here has done similar before.

Any tips much appreciated...

Car paint is a bit naff unless you do loads of coats and is always a bit brittle IME.

I would use something like Plasticote spray paint, sticks to anything, easy to make a nice finish. Rustoleum is even better (Homebase sell both)

I sprayed a stem and a few other bits and pieces with Hammerite Direct To Rust spray paint (satin finish) and they came out very well indeed, it gives a durable finish (just leave enough time for the paint to harden, a few days at least, a week even better)

direct_to_rust_metal_paint_aerosol_hammered_finish.png

2013-01-12192638.jpg

thanks gents

I have some of the Rustoleum in white - doing a Technium frame/forks with it.

Didn't know you could get it in Homebase though!

I need a glossy finish on my stem/seatpost though so I might go for Hammerite if they do a gloss.

Any primer needed?

A good key, etch primer, and decent quality satin black car paint looks brilliant and is plenty durable. Done many a lever, clamp, derailleur cage etc like this.

Bear in mind that even a thin coat of paint on a seat post may make it too big to fit back in the seat tube b

One more option is appliance epoxy, very hard and it goes on smooth but only comes in black, white and tan.

Ref: seatpost - I intend to find the 'right' position then mask off the hidden bit and spray the exposed part.

Ref: satin finish - not quite what I'm looking for. It looks nice, but the bits on my Technium look pretty gloss to me. I think the epoxy stuff might do the trick.

Another vote for satin black. Use etch primer on alu parts for best results. Another tip is to use your oven to bake the paint, saves time waiting for it to air dry - hang parts from the racks using garden twine or similar stuff. 50 degrees is enough between coats then give it 20 mins at 100 degrees when finished.

Back