Life beyond Orange - advice required

Aluminium Ohhh

Retro Guru
I would appreciate your valued opinions on looking for my next bike and before I post a 'Wanted'

I'm 6'2" with long legs and so it will need to a 21" frame - Large, Hard tail, maybe Titanium (never ridden one)

I currently have 3 Oranges - Alu O, E3 & P7 which Im really happy with but I would like to see whats 'better' out there after recent thread suggesting Oranges arent all that.

Point me in the right direction please

I'd try a Kona, sloping top tube will be new for you and i prefer them. Try for a Cinder Cone, Kilauea or Explosif. I'm 6ft 2" with short legs and can ride an 18" although i usually go for a 19" so 20/21" will be perfect for you. I'd steer clear of the Aluminium Konas as i found them to be a little 'dead' compared to the steel. There's nothing wrong with Oranges, just different strokes for different folks i guess.

Why not search for something a bit special, like a Roberts, Rourke, Yates or other hand made frames.

Bigger frames are harder to find, but also harder to sell; there was a Feather (I think) in the post 97 section recently, and also a Roberts DOGS.... a little while ago that was hanging about.

As for Orange, my daughter has a C16R which is a cracking little bike and underrated as far as I can see.

For a large frame, see if you can find a MAX-OR frame say a , 20/21" Kona Explosif. Don't bother with the midrange models.
Measure yourself up, inside leg is actual inside leg length, not trouser inside leg! and see what the Kona charts say would be your bike.

While looking for one of them then keep an eye out for other brands, not sure if Rocky Mountain will be for you, the less buying them the better ;)

Or some of the UK built bikes mentioned above.

Of course you do need a Vit-T to complete your collection.

Thank you all for your advice which has got me seriously thinking
I did look for a Vit T a while ago but got nowhere in my size but I know its about right place right time with the rarer stuff.
I remember being handed a Pace RC200 frame in my LBS when they first came out and thinking wow but so out of my range so that will be a possibility - what size did these come in?
Kona Explosif is a definite maybe, this is the bike I rode that showed up my Claude Butler so much I started looking at serious bikes and thanks for the tip im a 34" in trousers 36" real leg
I feel some research coming on before I search
Thanks for the advice so far - all excellent

Aluminium Ohhh":1vf2j3zg said:
I currently have 3 Oranges - Alu O, E3 & P7 which Im really happy with but I would like to see whats 'better' out there after recent thread suggesting Oranges arent all that.

you're really happy with 3 Oranges but because someone on a website suggested they aren't all that (in their opinion) you write them off? :shock: crazy reaction if you ask me.

by all means try different brands, there are loads out there, but make your own decision as whether you like them, some times this involves riding some bikes that are complete pigs but you won't know until you ride them, borrow one, buy one etc, ride it and make the decision yourself, if you hate it then flog it, if you like it then improve it and make it your own build.

while the internet is great for opinions and advice don't discount your own views as they should be the most important to you and your riding.

for the record i have 7 Oranges, 1 kona, 1 fat chance, 1 bontrager, 1 muddy fox, 2 proflexs, a mix of steel, aluminium and titanium, not to mention the road stuff etc, all ride differently, some i prefer to others but i like them all and they all ride well, take from that what you will.

:)

Jonnyboy,
If a man needs to make an excuse to buy another bike so be it. He has a perfectly acceptable excuse. He needs to buy them to test if they are or are not better.

yeah i get that but it seems a rash decision to write off a brand because someone on the internet says that they don't rate the brand he's riding.

Two fingers to the crowd suggesting Orange are not 'all that' to be honest.

You already have a stiff Al frame, you won't learn much from a Pace.

I would say one of the many suggestions is a perfect Vit, and would suit you to a T.

:)

Back