The Best cantilever brakes

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I was wondering what folks opinions on Canti brakes are?
I am pondering whether to fit some on my Dynatech - which ones from mid 90ies and before were the best?
How were Suntour XC Pro?

Probably not a lot between any of them really...

...I changed over to V's BITD as soon as they became available due to the superior braking performance, but recently I've become something of a fan of canti's again; but only in the set up you can see most clearly in the pix of my 'Kili Wot' in the link below.

Neat installation and superior performance to any other canti-equipped bike; have that style set up on three of mine now :cool:

Thanks guys, so I should just go with what visually suits the bike?
And a quick Q, would the new Avid Shorty canti's outperform old skool ones?

I have just fitted some TRP cantilever brakes to my Dyna-tech and they seem a lot easier to set up very similar to fitting V brakes and seem to have plenty of power too :D

drystonepaul":sdovnxmn said:
I agree that fundamentally there isn't that much to differentiate between alot of cantis.
The main difference is how they are set up. Poorly set up cantis are often the reason why lots of people don't like them, whereas a well set up canti can give plenty of power and modulation.

The brake pad can also make a huge difference to performance.

Here are a couple of set up guides here:
http://www.drystonepaul.com/maintenance ... r_1993.jpg
http://www.drystonepaul.com/maintenance ... r_1995.jpg

x2

kermitgreenkona88":2zqm4v1v said:
I have just fitted some TRP cantilever brakes to my Dyna-tech and they seem a lot easier to set up very similar to fitting V brakes and seem to have plenty of power too :D

Any pics??

I have FSA SLK canti's on my Rourke and they are excellent, far better performance and much easier to set up than anything I had BITD.

I had Onza HO brakes fitted to my old Torus race bike, they were nice and powerful.
onZa-HO-brakes.jpg

Had them with some Scott Mathauser pads.
a207915133477b6e263a8_m.jpg

They replaced the original XT Cantis. Which were ok.
The Onzas cracked at the clamp tho :(

Also had some of the suntour self energisers (briefly) but having a monster rear brake and a weedy front made no sense at all. So i got V-Brakes.

Problem with Cantis is that its all in the set up, badly set up ones are next to useless. Well set up ones perform as well as discs (in the dry). And you need to be on top of it all the time. V-Brakes are pretty much fit and forget. Ditto discs.

Back