Mavic rim colour confusion

Lord_fowl

Retro Guru
hi
just a little confused about mavic rim colours and wondering if anybody has more info to unconfuse me.
I have a 117 sup ceramic BROWN colour with yellow/orange stickers from early 2 mid 90's really is brown cant be called grey
and I also have a 217 SUP that looks brown but is really closer to GREY. it has yellow and blue sitckers on it like you see in Rod_Saetans picture on page 3. (can brown be called grey?)
my question is, what colours do older mavic rims come in? so far I have seen silver gold brown and grey.
thanks to an that know and can explain
if a grey 217 32h (blue/yellow stickers) is available I am interested in making a pair. I already have a second rim for the 117
thanks and cheers
Peter aka Lord_fowl :evil:

Re: Rim Matchmaker... Wanted/Swap/Buy/Sell

i'm no expert but i did like french at school and with Mavic being french it always interested me what the letters stood for. i think this is what i concluded back in 1996!

CD = Couche Dure, dark grey/brown, hard cooked, stronger than standard SUP

SUP = Soude Udine Process or something, silver rim, standard rim manufacture

TIB = same as SUP but with a goldish finish, can't remember what TIB stands for though!

Sunset = not dissimilar to TIB but more of a bronzey finish i think

Citron = lemon yellowy, these came a bit later on i think

Ceramic = coating on brake surface, a lot of people on ebay describe CD rims as ceramics! :facepalm:

does this help? :)

I have 2 32H Mavic 217 SUP's, surplus to requirements
They're in good nick, but the labels are different colours (one is red/yellow, the other is blue/yellow)

raveydavey":kiv4gcmb said:
i'm no expert but i did like french at school and with Mavic being french it always interested me what the letters stood for. i think this is what i concluded back in 1996!

CD = Couche Dure, dark grey/brown, hard cooked, stronger than standard SUP

you're not far from the truth :mrgreen:
there is no "grey" coloured mavic, they are silver or "CD" as you said "couche dure" that mean hard anodized finish ;)
all "cd"rims got the same color, but the "cd-ceramic" have black braking surface.
so it's a little bit confusing to call them grey :oops:

Let's get the mavic colour talk into another thread, I keep getting notifications and hoping I have a rim swap or for sale that I want.
In fact if you search you should find a post with a nice picture I linked to.

I've reported the first post so hopefully they can split it and the following replies out :)

Back