Chainring recommendations

matt24777

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a nice m737 xt chainset that I think needs new rings (some slippage under load).

Now I'm very undecided about what rings to go for.... The original shimano rings shift really well but the chances of getting a nos 32t & 42t chainring is slim at best.

So I'm after suggestions for possible replacement rings.
Criteria as follows:

5 arm
I need a 32t and a 42t
94mm pcd
Must shift well (pinned and ramped)
:?

Don't need to be pinned'n'ramped to shift well...

...stainless Surly rings on my cro-mega work just fine with DX thumbies :cool:

Kooka rings are nice; check out the LX chainset for my red Wot in my sig. below.

Never had a set of rings shift so well as my latest middleburn slickshift hardcoats.
The up shift seems instantaneous with no dragging whatsoever.
They're an odd colour though with the hardcoat anodising, but it didn't bother me on this bike.

TA seem to outlast everything else in my experience, Middleburn are nice but not so pretty, Stronglight are good value and last well. Shimano are brilliant at shifting but wear about as well as if they were made of cardboard. They also seem ot develop chainsuck from all those aggressive ramps and pins. As I don't use indexed front shifting they are largely unnecessary for me.

Hmm

I have a set of middleburn slickshift on my orange and they're ok but I'm not 100% on the shifting, This could be down to the Sachs gripshifters though... :?

I'm using M737 STI so the front shifting needs to be good and consistant, this is where the shimano stuff seems to excel, but then again it was designed to work together :LOL:

Anyone got any decent pics of a TA setup? Or any others come to that?

DSC06601.jpg

WD :D

You might not get OE rings easily, but most modern Shimmy rings with the correct number of mounting holes will fit. Provided they're the right colour you'd need to be on your hands and knees to notice any difference.

Back