Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:52 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
Mr Benn
Mr Benn
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 7200
Location: Omnipresent
I like them.

Never owned one except nearly in 1994 (the silver and turquoise clockwork).

I popped up there and did a feature on them a few months back, should you be interested (and you should :-) ) you can read it in this month's Switchback magazine (available in bigger WH Smiths any day now.

preview here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=255304


There's even a little piece on Retrobike in there too.

G


Attachments:
BKesOYpCYAEVM4q.jpg-large.jpeg
BKesOYpCYAEVM4q.jpg-large.jpeg [ 105.48 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:54 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm
Posts: 2183
Location: Kent, UK
I guess that in the end, what is really nice on this forum is that everyone has their own favourites, for whatever reason. And they are passionate about them too!
If we all liked only one brand of bike it would be rather boring!

Personally, I love Orange bikes, X1 included.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
secret_squirrel wrote:
Just sitting on my prestige makes me grin from ear to ear


Even with the saddle?

Like Pace frames, Orange are mainly a Brit thing.

I don't reckon they are over rated, but like most things history is either kind or not, especially once people have used higher end bikes.

They were flexy?

Compared to what other light-ish steel bikes in the same price range of the era?

Now Kleins are definitely over rated!

The rep they have now is vastly exaggerated thanks to all the fan boys.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 2366
Location: The Cave of Shame
highlandsflyer wrote:
secret_squirrel wrote:
Just sitting on my prestige makes me grin from ear to ear


Even with the saddle?

Wouldn't know as mine was bought as frame and forks and quickly had a San Marco added. For me the supple flexy frame is part of the fun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
I love my 23 year old Clockwork. I bought the frame with nickel F7 forks all for £175 and built the bike up myself. It's tight, very responsive, and faster than most hipsters or roadies 'pootling' through London today. Some stop and stare like "WTF!" at this unfamiliar bike out smokin' them. I've been commuting an average of 165 miles per week on it for 2-3 years across 4 zones of London through most seasons. It gets me to the allotment and back at weekends with a rack on the back. And it can shred it up like a loon out in the hills and woods. It's survived 2 bad crashes, has no rust issues and is seemingly indestructible. For an old steel frame it's not heavy, and since being stripped and resprayed recently, seems even lighter. There might be slight niggles - it would be ideal with a long sloping top tube with modern seat tube clamping (particularly for a less obscure seat post diameter). There are other bikes. But I would hate to be parted from my old Orange. For some Orange riders from up North like me, the bikes may embody their Northerner roots. This might explain the irrational love for Orange Bikes.


Last edited by groovyblueshed on Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 pm
Posts: 3198
Location: Chorley, Lancs
groovyblueshed wrote:
I love my 23 year old Clockwork. It's tight, very responsive, and faster than most hipsters or roadies 'pootling' through London today. Some stop and stare like "WTF!" at this unfamiliar bike out smokin' them. I've been commuting an average of 165 miles per week on it for 2-3 years across 4 zones of London through most seasons. It gets me to the allotment and back at weekends with a rack on the back. And it can shred it up like a goodun out in the hills and woods. It's survived 2 bad crashes, has no rust issues and is seemingly indestructible. There might be slight niggles. There are other bikes. But I would hate to be parted from my old Orange. For some Orange riders from up North like me, the bikes may embody their Northerner roots. This might explain the irrational love for Orange Bikes.


Just about sums it up for me. Could be improved slightly if they were across the border in Lancashire though;-)!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:17 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
azaro wrote:
groovyblueshed wrote:
I love my 23 year old Clockwork. It's tight, very responsive, and faster than most hipsters or roadies 'pootling' through London today. Some stop and stare like "WTF!" at this unfamiliar bike out smokin' them. I've been commuting an average of 165 miles per week on it for 2-3 years across 4 zones of London through most seasons. It gets me to the allotment and back at weekends with a rack on the back. And it can shred it up like a goodun out in the hills and woods. It's survived 2 bad crashes, has no rust issues and is seemingly indestructible. There might be slight niggles. There are other bikes. But I would hate to be parted from my old Orange. For some Orange riders from up North like me, the bikes may embody their Northerner roots. This might explain the irrational love for Orange Bikes.


Just about sums it up for me. Could be improved slightly if they were across the border in Lancashire though;-)!



They did start off based in Cumbria didn't they?

In some ways, the modern On One's have a similar edge to them like early days Orange, because of the Northern element – perhaps...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16750
Location: Yorkshire, England
I had a ~92 Prestige, it was damn light at the time (XTR, Alu forks etc.)
Very nice bike, but my '91 RM Altitude replaced it and there was a world of difference.

I then in ~1994/5 got a '92 clockwork. It worked, it was nice to commute on and doss around on.. It had horrible forks (them PACE rigids), the frame was solid but dead and altogether was shite offroad, not a patch on the Prestige I had.

Of course I was quite light back then (10 stone give or take 1/2 stone), very fit as well.

I guess it just didn't work for me at the time.

The best thing they did was sell pretty cheap frames and let you fit what you liked on it.

I must say the Alu-O is also pretty shite in the scheme of things.


It's the Early 90's version of On-One in my opinion (the style of company and setup)

They are both companies doing very well as far as I can see, which is not bad going for a UK company.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
FluffyChicken wrote:
I had a ~92 Prestige, it was damn light at the time (XTR, Alu forks etc.)
Very nice bike, but my '91 RM Altitude replaced it and there was a world of difference.

I then in ~1994/5 got a '92 clockwork. It worked, it was nice to commute on and doss around on.. It had horrible forks (them PACE rigids), the frame was solid but dead and altogether was shite offroad, not a patch on the Prestige I had.

Of course I was quite light back then (10 stone give or take 1/2 stone), very fit as well.

I guess it just didn't work for me at the time.

The best thing they did was sell pretty cheap frames and let you fit what you liked on it.

I must say the Alu-O is also pretty shite in the scheme of things.


It's the Early 90's version of On-One in my opinion (the style of company and setup)

They are both companies doing very well as far as I can see, which is not bad going for a UK company.


Hey! :) On my old rigid "shite framed" Clockwork, I substantially out-smoked a modern Fat Scandal Inbred Rascal On-One (29er, front sus), on my long commute home last night. This was on a long badly maintained road through North London with speed humps, long gradients up and descents. Plus dodging maniac drivers. Not bad for an old clunker.

I agree on your opinion of On-Ones.

H


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:24 am 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 1075
Pace -> Orange, only because Pace's are MUCH nicer looking frames imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adri.75, Eldolhor, Google [Bot], groovyblueshed, PaintedDesert, Retro junkie, The History Man and 59 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group