Retro is taking over!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I've always loved my old Marins but loved my new Marin in equal measure...

...however more recently I'm falling out of love with my 2008 Marin Rift Zone! I know what most of you are going to say (retro is best etc). But I have always seen the differences between the ages of bike being about them being completely different machines. I specced the Rift Zone with the best bits I could afford a mix of XTR crankset, cassette and brake calipers and XT derailleurs shifters and levers with Mavic 717's on XT hubs etc etc.

But here's the thing, I've been riding my 90/91 Marins more frequently and maybe I've got more used to them, but when I went out on the Rift Zone today it just feels like a huge lump of a bike! Its heavy too despite the parts at around 32lbs!! Compared to the 25-26lbs of my 90/91 Marins. I'm thinking more and more of getting rid of it...

Its lovely in that you don't feel a thing as the front and rear shocks soak up everything! But it just feels soooo heavy...Disc brakes are great but a bitch to set up and maintain (always seem to rub somehow!) So given that its about a £1000's worth of bike would I get a lighter retro full suss equivilent for the same money? What do full suss bike of the 97 and before weigh in at?? Are they any good??...I think I might even be able to consider something other than a Marin!! :shock:

So what are the opinions of you folk? I think I would still like a full suss in the stable...or maybe I could just get away with a hardtail???

All opinions appreciated and listened to...

Doug

Hard to say without understanding what kind of riding you do. I think a well kept classic hardtail would be just fine if you ride a lot of fairly buffed single track and aren't looking to go as fast as you possibly can downhill and/or get big air. Around here it tough to find a trail that doesn't have lots of rocks, roots, ladders, teeters, drops, ramps, berms, etc. so having at least an all mountain bike makes sense. My current mountain bike is a Kona Stinky Delux and its heavy and sucks going up hill, but it's about the minimum you want to ride coming down the local trails - particularly if you are an unskilled hack like me.

dirttorpedo":9hksybte said:
Hard to say without understanding what kind of riding you do. I think a well kept classic hardtail would be just fine if you ride a lot of fairly buffed single track and aren't looking to go as fast as you possibly can downhill and/or get big air. Around here it tough to find a trail that doesn't have lots of rocks, roots, ladders, teeters, drops, ramps, berms, etc. so having at least an all mountain bike makes sense. My current mountain bike is a Kona Stinky Delux and its heavy and sucks going up hill, but it's about the minimum you want to ride coming down the local trails - particularly if you are an unskilled hack like me.

Not so many rocks more roots and bumps! And not that hilly round my way so not so much Downhill definately more XC... I had a 1997 Marin Quake and thats what lit my full suss fire and I loved that coming from fully rigid bikes...but have never properly ridden a hardtail...my main issue with rigid is my wrists but its a nice bonus to have the rear and my back cushioned too...

I don't really like FS either. The back end never feels like its connected properly to me. I love my hardtails. Started out fully rigid though and my next project will be like that. I moved from Staffordshire to South Wales and brought a Scott Scale with me. That was enough up there. Did one ride round the Whites level at Afan and decided a burlier bike is in order. So bought a Giant Trance X4. Kept that 6 months and traded it for a 456 frame. Love that. Funnily enough the ONLY FS bike I've ever liked was a Marin Mount Vision Pro. Wish I never sold that :-(

I think I have pretty much made my mind up...I think that the Rift Zone has to go...Mount Vision Pro hmm now that is a bike I would like...But what was the weight like??

Was comparable to my 456 and that was with Bomber mxc's. But full m960 :oops: Felt light and didn't bob everywhere. Loved that bike. Might be my next project if I can find one bigger than 17"

Logic.Al":161qu7ic said:
Was comparable to my 456 and that was with Bomber mxc's. But full m960 :oops: Felt light and didn't bob everywhere. Loved that bike. Might be my next project if I can find one bigger than 17"

You and me both mate I'd need a 19" and all I see are 17"....

I thought Marin were the first to win a national title with full suspension , I think it was Paul Lasenby on a Mount Vision ? anyway im sure that was built up at around 24 lbs , my old S Works FSR with the best i could afford weighed about 26 so im sure you could have the best of both worlds and still be retro :D
My local rides used to have 20 min climbs and 5 min descents so a short travel full suspension bike well specced was comfortable and fast . :D
i still bought another M2 and had both in the end though :oops:

I had a 2007 mount vision pro and I loved it, until I rode a 2010 gary fisher hifi.the marin soon went

shinobi":1k4c3kzv said:
I thought Marin were the first to win a national title with full suspension , I think it was Paul Lasenby on a Mount Vision ? anyway im sure that was built up at around 24 lbs , my old S Works FSR with the best i could afford weighed about 26 so im sure you could have the best of both worlds and still be retro :D
My local rides used to have 20 min climbs and 5 min descents so a short travel full suspension bike well specced was comfortable and fast . :D
i still bought another M2 and had both in the end though :oops:
#

Yeah I think I have heard that too...maybe I should stick with the brand I love then!...love my Rift Zone for going downhill but for general riding its a real effort!! And thats the XC bike from Marin rather than the "all mountain" or "downhill"...

Back