Advice needed. Replacement Freehub?

Explosif Phil

Old School Hero
I have an 8spd Shimano XT FH-M737 Parralax hub and the free hub has lots of play and needs replacing. Will a Shimano FH-RM 30 be a simple swap or can anyone tell me which exact one I need, all help appreciated.

Oh yes and can anyone tell what width B.B was fitted on a 96 KONA Explosif using Sugino Mighty 900 cranks.

Cheers :D

Mighty 900s take a 110mm BB. They are some of the nicest cranks ever - lighter than XTR too!

Usually freehub bodies are interchangeable, however I recently came across differences in the bearing throat size - if it measures the same you should be fine.

Many thanks for your post, I have confirmed it is a FH-RM30/XT 8 Spd free hub. Just bought one, only £13 :D

I didn't know my cranks were that highly regarded, they are light and strong and after 17 years use they still have logos in tact, can't be bad lolz. Fortunately my B.B is 108 mm and a very helpful guy in Halfords gave me a 2mm spacer for nothing today, making the 110mm width required. It was a project which once this part is ordered will be finished at last.

A few photo's and story of the build will be posted soon.

Cheers

Explosif Phil":2hnio3w6 said:
Many thanks for your post, I have confirmed it is a FH-RM30/XT 8 Spd free hub. Just bought one, only £13 :D

I didn't know my cranks were that highly regarded, they are light and strong and after 17 years use they still have logos in tact, can't be bad lolz. Fortunately my B.B is 108 mm and a very helpful guy in Halfords gave me a 2mm spacer for nothing today, making the 110mm width required. It was a project which once this part is ordered will be finished at last.

A few photo's and story of the build will be posted soon.

Cheers
How does the spacer work?

It sits between the B.B shell on the frame and the B.B locking ring adding the extra 2mm needed. So the axle will sit 2mm further to the right/crankside which will give the correct chain line and finally eliminate chain rub. Although it will be 2mm shorter on the left, that won't be noticeable when pedalling and avoids me having to buy yet another part. It started out as just a tyre and a cassette! At £300 I stopped counting and said I wanted it to be mechanically perfect and looking just as good lol

I have just found out that a RM30 free hub is not the correct part. Although it is 8Spd it isn't compatible. Does anyone know for sure which free hub I do need and where I can get one from?

ah, yes, the rm30 is different at the back, outy rather than inny, (absorb the technical vibe there) :)

Most shimano freehubs will fit from deore upwards.

I've got one of these put away for when the next m750 hub goes bang (known for it)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=88244

the freehub will fit. it may be necessary to experiment with spacer arrangements (like the one that sits behind freehub and hub shell). also if any of your cones are pitted and the new ones match, mores the better. Dust seals may be fine too or reuse your existing ones. like i say, some trial and error but these freehubs are fundamentally the same.

on the link LX565 is listed too. ;)

The splines on the M750 free hub are not the same as M737. Looking at Shimano's compatibility chart there is only an XTR and a XT part listed. Called a few bike shops and the UK Shimano importer but no one knows of a alternative. Looks like I am stuck.

i see, i do recall m737 being dubbed as the 'awkward one'.

I reckon thats why i stick to certain things, knowing of their compatibility etc...

sorry mate i can't help then. Would it be possible for you to post a pic up of the rear of the m737 freehub?

Just had a look at the freehub chart.

the nearest match(as per tech waffle) the LX565 has the same part number...Y3SA98010. without a key i can't decipher the other letters and characters.

crc also have those in £11 odd.

Back