Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:49 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Spatter kona query
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi all
saw 2 Kona frame sets for sale , white spatter cinder cone , i think 88/89 ? , it was frame /forks headset , looked like a dx chainset , xt front and rear mech , rear u brake and scott penderson front cantis , i dont know how original that is ?

does anyone know what the rear axle spacing would be 130 or 135 ? guy was a bit of a clown and seemed to think they were worth a fortune so couldnt get a sensible price out of him

the other was a blue spatter frame and forks only , looked a similar age , he wanted " upwards of £60 " for it ,
I dont know what is reasonable money for these ? would the fire mountain be a u brake too ?

what do the kona experts think ?

Cheers Paul

Post subject: Re: Spatter kona query
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 am 
Devout Dirtbag

My 89 cindercone came with a Suntour XCD group set when it was new as far as I can remember so that wouldn't be original no.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 am 
Retro Guru

Rear axle spacing is the normal 135mm, blue with white spatter would be a Fire Mountain and yes, in 88/89 this had a U brake too.
I don't think that £60+ is silly money - if it's tidy with good condition paintwork I actually think that it's a bit of a bargain.
Put it this way, if I was to sell my '88 Explosif frame and forks I'd be wanting a bit more than the cost of a week's shopping for it.....

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 am 
Retro Guru

Andy R wrote:
Rear axle spacing is the normal 135mm, blue with white spatter would be a Fire Mountain and yes, in 88/89 this had a U brake too.
I don't think that £60+ is silly money - if it's tidy with good condition paintwork I actually think that it's a bit of a bargain.
Put it this way, if I was to sell my '88 Explosif frame and forks I'd be wanting a bit more than the cost of a week's shopping for it.....

Thats fair enough then :) the cinder cone looked a better bet as it had the u brake etc with it , the fire mountain was frame and forks , both looked ok condition , not sure on size.
The guy was such hard work i could not get a firm price out of him , all i get getting was how much he could get on EBAY for them !
Cheers for the reply Paul.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 am 
Retro Guru

The Edinburgh Bike Station has a similar frame and forks with headset I think but I can't remember if it has any other parts or indeed the size. They are asking £50 but it has been there for ever. Worth a call?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Gordie wrote:
My 89 cindercone came with a Suntour XCD group set when it was new as far as I can remember so that wouldn't be original no.

That was 1990, the 1989 year was mountain LX group with the U Brake, XCD had SE Cantis.

Carl.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

drcarlos wrote:
Gordie wrote:

That was 1990, the 1989 year was mountain LX group with the U Brake, XCD had SE Cantis.

Carl.

I stand corrected, in fairness it was over 20 years ago and my memory isn't what it once was :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm 

Gordie wrote:
drcarlos wrote:
Gordie wrote:

Carl.

I stand corrected, in fairness it was over 20 years ago and my memory isn't what it once was :lol:

Happens to me more and more these days, can't get used to it :)

Carl.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master

drcarlos wrote:
Gordie wrote:

Carl.

Indeed it was:

viewtopic.php?p=1496804#1496804

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 pm 
Retro Guru

al-onestare wrote:
drcarlos wrote:
Gordie wrote:

Carl.

Indeed it was:

viewtopic.php?p=1496804#1496804

:wink:

Thanks for the reply :D
it looked like the one in the pic but with a silver u brake and what looked like black self energiser ? front brakes , oh and silver chainset too :)
I guess the pivots are in a different place on the seatstays between u brake and canti ?
cheers Paul.