Greetings

RichMonaghan

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

My name's Rich and I'm based right next to Whipsnade Zoo, in Bedfordshire. I've been enjoying this site for a year or so thought it about time I registered. I first proper started Mountain Biking back in 1992 with a purchase of a blue GT Talera. Then progressed to Pantera and then to a 1996 Zaskar. In 1998 I then dabbled with full suspension in the form of a LTS which was nice at the time but the Zaskar always remained the favourite. Fast forward some years which have seen a Kinesis Maxlight and a Marin Attack Trail come and go and my current up to date machine is an On One 456 as I wanted a 'do anything' bike with minimal fuss. However I also find myself with the start of a 'Retro bike' collection which include a 1992 GT Timberline (mint), 1998 Saracen Backtrax, an early 90's Marin and an early 90's Alu Muddy Fox...... Having been into bikes for over 20 years it's the earlier stuff I prefer...they just seem to ride 'purer' and come without all the marketing 'BS’ that comes with every new bike. Perhaps I’m just getting old and sceptical….:) Any way greetings to all.

(BTW, post above…I know Crooks Peak, been a few years since I rode it though but good call. Every time I drive past on the M5 I always point it out and reminisce)

RichMonaghan":3kkqwqgn said:
Having been into bikes for over 20 years it's the earlier stuff I prefer...they just seem to ride 'purer' and come without all the marketing 'BS’ that comes with every new bike. Perhaps I’m just getting old and sceptical….:)

Hi. Welcome to the forum :D

You're definitely not alone with the above sentiment, trust me! Most large bike shops now are just glorified showrooms. Most of the staff might as well wear cheap suits and fake smiles ;)

I decided last night I'm a retro person.
Cars from the 90's are better looking. Music from the 90's sounds better and bikes from 90's are great. Music, cars and bikes now all look/sound the same. Music especially. It's either just noise (anything on Kiss FM - Why Mrs Logic.al listens to it) or wallpaper crap like the script.

Welcome Rich! &..

Logic.Al":2p2wgvmo said:
I decided last night I'm a retro person.
Cars from the 90's are better looking. Music from the 90's sounds better and bikes from 90's are great. Music, cars and bikes now all look/sound the same. Music especially. It's either just noise (anything on Kiss FM - Why Mrs Logic.al listens to it) or wallpaper crap like the script.

Hear Hear! My camper van is a '95 T4, (was made in the same month as my Cannondale M900 :D ) .. Its not chock full of electronics and its solid.
90's & earlier music seems to be more varied and creative in the main..
I prefer a few key things that are in that era, which makes me 'retro' I guess.

Latest posts

Back