Question on integrated Shimano XT gear shifter/brake

gammaknife

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I have an older Shimano XT integrated shifter/brake levers and was wondering how I can swap the derailleur cables out.
Do I need to unscrew the small screws on the bottom of the shifter pod and open it up?
Or is there some stealthy place I need to pry up to gain access to the cable slots?

Here are some pictures of the shifters in question.
I appreciate any help from those who are familiar with this subject.

logic would suggest the cable nipple would come out in line with the cable when its in its most relaxed position.....perhaps via a bunged hole, or holding the shift trigger back??......

Easy job, there are two small Phillips screws underneath the back of the shifter (to the left of your thumb if you were shifting) take them out (dont lose!) with a small screwdriver, & a plastic plate will pop off, exposing the cable ! :)

Thank you. Thank you for your help. Was a little resistant to just opening up the innards of the shifters, but now I know.

Last thing to fix before I get to ride (or crack the headtube of) my project Manitou FS. :shock:

A word of warning, these little screws are both easy to lose and made of cheese. When you undo them and replace them make sure you're using the right size driver and turn them gently. There are lots out there with rounded heads from over tightening.

Tell me about it... I cant change the cable on my my XTR sti due to a previous owners' hamfisted attempt

G

CRAP!!!

You weren't kidding when you guys told me that these small screws were made of cheese! They are almost as small as eyeglass screws, and in fact I used screwdrivers made for glasses. But alas one of the left sided screws was seized and looked like it had already been worn down a bit from prior removal/install. After my attempts they have been rendered into a bloody metal stub with a divot in the middle!!! :facepalm:

Will a dremel tool or a small drill bit be my best option here?

These small screws come off.

Undoing the screws and removing the slot exposes the cable slot bay

If you're unlucky like me you're "screwed!"

I have found a very slightly larger screwdriver works better with these, maybe because the load is spread and not concentrated on the centre of the screw.

If it is seized, maybe try using some WD-40 and then gripping with needle nose pliers.

Dremel surgery sounds brave to me.

Back