Xt mech spring help

Antfox

Retro Guru
I have an xt mech where I fitted the spring , as when I got the mech the breakaway bolt had snapped . I fitted the spring and I can't for love nor money get the spring to work, when I fit the spring I don't have enough oooooomph to hold the tension on .

So to cut a long story short can I run the mech with 9 speed without the spring working ?

Unless there is anyone I can post / get it to to sort this for me ?

Thanks

Anthony

With all due respect bud, did you fit the spring correctly? they are a bugger to replace and sometimes you need another pair of hands to get it all back together before the clip flies off and you lose it in the garden somewhere. :|

Sounds like you havent tensioned it as youve put it in.
The spring needs to be under tension when you put it all together.

Im not speaking from personal experience here so dont take this as read, im under the impression it has to be twisted around at least once then slotted together and the circlip put in. :?

No it's go no tension at all , it's a right tw@t to do.

I have the original spring and it seems there is no way in this world it will spin enough to tension before I do the clip bit

Ill have a butchers on you tube to see if its any easier, if not ill buy another mech and stop messing about

The easiest way to refit one of these is to put a 5mm allen key into a vice and then drop the pivot bolt onto the allen key. The need to have a third arm suddenly fades. Make sure your spring is located properly into the hole inside the main body then put the backplate onto the other end of the spring (the part that is facing outwards),Using a pair of long nosed pliers hold onto the b tension screw and twist the backplate until the little overhanging tab that is on the base of the plate passes the small raised tab on the main mech body. At this point you have sufficient tension, push the plate town so the tabs lock into place and whilst holding it in place you can pop the circlip back on, the easiest way to do this is to push the circlip a couple of mm into the edge of the retaining groove by hand then use a large flat bladed screwdriver to push it into place and voila you are all done.
If you are completely foxed by it all you can pop it in the post and I will stick it back together for you.]
Good luck

Ill have a go today with what you said to try and then if all else fails I pop it in the post to you , thanks for that :)

Anthony

Hopefully the gear cables can be fitted once the mechs are on then only a few bits to go and the zaskar can be posted on here :)

Latest posts

Back