Cannondale M800 project

johnkiteman

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks - just joined up for a bit of help and info :)

Just got an old and neglected M800 that I would like to restore and improve in some respects - been sitting in someones garden for a couple of years! Frame is in good condition, rigid forks, Deore and LX bits so all in all not bad. Can get it running with lots of tlc and a new chain....BUT...

I hate the quill stem headset arrangement and would like to upgrade to aheadset type - how easy would this be with inexpensive bits as I am totally broke atm?

Also would like to fit some servicable forks that came with my 98 Sunn Vertik II before I upgraded to RC36's (now that is a lurvelly bike). Are there shims available which would allow the standard steerer to fit the oversize tube?

This is a long term project as it is a second bike and I am broke as previously mentioned :roll:

Any help from you experts would be very much appreciated

Many Thanks

John

You could keep it 'period correct' and fit some Manitou 2's...these are common and the steerer/crowns can be swapped cheaply (I paid £12 for the last Mani steerer I bought).

M800 is a very cool bike, got any pix to post up here?

Welcome to your new obsessive hobby ;) :)

Yeah - lots of options here - just about to take some pics so will post soon.

How does picture posting work on this site?

The beast:

cannondale007post.jpg

Frame in fairly good nick:

cannondale003post.jpg

Extent of degredation is obvious:

cannondale008post.jpg

A few hours and a small amount of cash will make it a runner but I wants it special :twisted:

johnkiteman":38pohg18 said:
Also - can anyone date this bike? - the quill stem and the centre pull cantis must make it at least 15??

Look inside the left seatstay (non drive side) and there should be a serial number stamped there...this will reveal the true age.

If thats Deep Indigo then there's a good chance its 1993....looks a lot older though :)

Now I know I'm on the right forum if you are arguing about age and model :LOL:

Will look for serial number tomorrow - also just spoke to a mate in the trade who will look it over and maybe help with cheap bits.

The story behind this bike - belonged to a mate who has been battling cancer for years - he has come to the end of meaningful treatments and is rationalising his life as there will not be much of it left for him. He is a trooper though and always positive and as active as he can be. I would like to show him some progress on his bike over the next 6 - 9 months.

Watch this space :D

neilll":3oj8iatb said:
Archangel":3oj8iatb said:
It's 1992.

Is that Hyper Highlight then? I thought '92 was only Hyper Highlight (which I thought was much darker) and Formula Red?

Yes indeed. Had a similar M700. The 2 models had the same colours & parts spec.

Back